The Problem With Scripture

I've been having terrible trouble memorising the passage that I chose for this month. I just can't seem to remember to take the time to learn it. And then when I do remember I'm reminded again of why I'm having so much trouble. It's just a little too close to the bone.

It's great when God's Word challenges - especially when it challenges someone else. It's not always so great when we realise we have to change our behaviour or when it addresses a situation that we find ourselves in and we'd rather react according to our 'natural' desires than by the way Christ calls us to live.

Recently we've had some dissension in our Bible Study group over the topic of creation. I believe in a literal 6-day creation week occurring approximately 6000 years ago and I believe that the evidence supports this. I believe that any other interpretation undermines the authority of God's Word. But my view is not shared by all Christians and subsequently I have found myself to be on the receiving end of what can only be termed verbal abuse because of my views. I've found it extremely hurtful and I've been tempted to stop attending the Study group. But a number of people convinced me that it would not be right to leave.

Even more recently I've been hurt by the words and attitudes of some who are very close to me. I've wondered what would happen if I just walked away but I know that's not right. I have a duty to honour and respect regardless of whether I think those involved deserve it.

Through both of these instances it has not been easy to do what is right. There is still a part of me that wants to lash out and say exactly what I think. But I know that wouldn't solve anything and I know it's not what God wants me to do. But I'll be honest: what I know God requires of me is hard - very hard - but unless I do it I will not know peace. And I know He will help me do it. Nor has He forgotten me. During these past weeks I have been incredibly blessed by the wonderful friends that God has placed around me. Friends that encourage me and affirm me and fill my emotional tank.

And what has been the passage that I've found so difficult? It's been this one from Philippians Chapter 2, verses 1-5:

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

Fulfil ye me joy, that ye be like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Noel said…
It has always amazed me that there could be other points of view about Creation among Christians. It just seems that the Bible is so clear and went into great depths to tell us the story of Creation. but some still read more into it, or just choose to believe other things. If a person has the love of God in their heart, they will still love even if people don't agree with them, but sometimes these points in Scripture bring out the fact that not all who call themselves Christians actually do have God's love in their heart. It's not a Creation issue as much as it is a heart issue. I'll be praying for strength for you "on eagle's wings" :)
BellaMama said…
That is so cool! My husband and I have been reading so much about creation vs. evolution for the past couple of weeks!! We listened to Kent Hovind debate evolutionists and have seen such amazing evidence in support of the Bible!
(We don't agree with his theories on income tax which landed him in jail)

His site is drdino (dot) com We watched his debates on youtube

He is very clear and easy to follow in his information and has much research to show in the debates!

Don't let it bother you that others are attacking you-it's for your belief in God's Word! Blessed are you!!
Elspeth said…
It's great when God's Word challenges - especially when it challenges someone else. It's not always so great when we realise we have to change our behaviour or when it addresses a situation that we find ourselves in and we'd rather react according to our 'natural' desires than by the way Christ calls us to live.
Don't I know it, Jules, don't I know it!
SchnauzerMom said…
It is hard to do the Lord's will because the old flesh gets in the way. I agree with you about creation. I just ignore the evolution stuff.
Jules said…
Hi Noel, I naively believed that all Christians would be thrilled to learn that the evidence supports the creation account as per Genesis. How wrong I was! I'm still amazed at the animosity in which others put their views forward. I did expect some disagreement - I was just not expecting almost a fanatical adherence to false doctrines.

BellaMama, I have seen Kent Hovind's presentations and like you I do not agree with some of his views such as income tax, etc. He also uses some of his own models to explain some things but he does make it quite clear that these models (such as the way in which the earth was watered pre-Flood) are the result of his own surmising and not necessarily as it happened. He can be a very entertaining speaker. More recently we've listened to a number of Ken Ham and other speakers from Creation Ministries and Answers in Genesis. The link is on my toolbar.

Thank you Terry and SM for your comments too.