It's Official

(Sorry but it's not a baby announcement for all those waiting anxiously to hear ... no don't close this page!)



June 1: Winter has officially begun despite what our internal thermostats have been telling us for the past fortnight. Winter is here and it's here to stay. :(

It struck me this morning that this Aussie girl raised on a diet of sunshine and warmth complains too much about the cold weather. There must be something good about winter ... just let me think ... and think .... and think ...

I've set myself a goal to see if I can find five things - yes five! - that I like about winter. Here I go:

One: Sitting in front of a roaring fire. We have a wood burner and when I can get the boys to light it, it does a wonderful job of heating up at least one room in our house (sometimes more but certainly not the whole house - oops, sorry, complaining again);

Two: Electric blankets. For years we used hot water bottles but then my husband and I spent a weekend in Rotorua where there was an electric blanket on the bed and he promptly came home and bought me one for Mothers Day. Yay! Before that he had been adamant that we were never going to have one of those things on our bed (perhaps that's why his side only works part of the time!). In this day and age where we have laptops, going to bed early doesn't mean going to sleep early. I also love to take my flute to bed and play it while the electric blanket keeps me all nice and cosy (DH told me not to tell anyone that I do this - I think that he thinks there's something seriously wrong with me for even thinking of doing this let alone admitting to doing this);

Three: Hot soup. Casseroles. Apple crumble. Hot gooey desserts. Roast dinners. Hot chocolate. And all manner of comfort food. Oh yes, comfort food;

Five: Snow. Or more correctly, a view of snow. And the mountain. Apparently if we climb onto our roof we can see the mountain (I've never done it to prove it) but there are many places around town (including my workplace) where you can see the mountain covered in snow and looking absolutely breathtaking. As long as I don't have to be in the snow, I'm happy.

Well, I did it. I found five things to be thankful for and if I thought hard enough for a very very long time I might even be able to think of five more.

But then, I may not.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Those sound like very good things to appreciate!
Noel said…
sorry, I left a comment but wasn't signed in and I don't know if it made it through. I'd love to see your mountain! We have none for thousands of miles around.

I'm giving you an award, thanks so much for encouraging me in regards to growing out my hair (which I am earnestly pursuing) Thanks!
busymomof10 said…
Good for you -- coming up with 5 things you like about winter! I'm with you -- I don't like the cold! Where I live, it is usually hot and dry in the summer, and we have fairly mild winters. Lately, we have had an unusual amount of rainy weather! It rained the entire time that my 2nd oldest daughter was home! I had a very hard time not complaining about that -- it was our only time together before she moved six hours away and began working full time, and we longed to sit in the sun and swim in the pool! Anway, I remember Elisabeth Elliot saying that one should not complain of anything, not even the weather! Wow! What a challenge that is!! You have done well to turn your complaints around! Enjoyed your post!