Too Many Drivers

Congratulations to Son#4 who passed his driving test yesterday and can now throw away his L plates (but don't throw them too far because Son#5 is hoping to get his license these holidays and will be wanting them).

If anyone has ever wondered why my grey hairs have suddenly increased in recent years it's because of teenage drivers! Anyone who has ever sat in the front passenger seat with a teenager learning to drive will know what I'm talking about. I never understood why my parents found it so stressful until Son#1 got his license. Then I could sympathise.

I'm pleased that Son#4 passed but it also reminded me of another issue that we're going to have to address when Son#1 and his family move in this weekend.

Parking.

More specifically how are we going to get our family car, DH's work car, Son#1's family car, Son#1's work van, Son#2's car (which is Son#1's second car), and BIL's car (while he's living in China and which our sons have used to practice their driving) in our driveway?

Our car will go in the garage (if no other car is blocking the drive-way) and we can park BIL's car up in MIL's garage since she doesn't have a car but that still leaves 4 vehicles permanently parked in the driveway and at least one other that has to use the driveway.



Not that that's the main problem. The biggest problem will be manoeuvring all those cars to get out the one you happen to be driving that day. It won't simply be a matter of last in and first out. Son#2 has now started shift work and has periods when he is on-call. The other night he got called out 3 times between midnight and 7.30 in the morning. Can you just imagine if he had to move all those vehicles in the middle of the night before he could get to his car? And can you imagine the deterioration of relations with our long suffering neighbours?

Then there's the times when someone has to go out at night. Perhaps a meeting or Bible Study or a music lesson or just to pick up milk. I'm beginning to think that it's just going to be a whole lot easier to bike.

Comments

busymomof10 said…
I can sure identify with everything you mentioned in your post!!!! I have now taught two daughters how to drive, and two sons, and I'm in the process of teaching my third son to drive. It is very Stressful and has definitely put a few grey hairs on my head!!!! My husband isn't much help -- he says he has too much stress in his life and can't handle it! So, it falls to me! I think it was while teaching my oldest son to drive that I began to question the wisdom of having such a large family -- I don't know how I will ever make it down to the very last driver! Maybe I will reach a point where the older siblings can teach the younger ones!!! Now, that's a plan!!!!!

I like that you have a L license plate or sign or something that you put on your car while the young adult is learning to drive. What a great idea!! I've often said I was going to get a magnet made up that said, Caution, Beginning Driver on Board! or something like that!

The driveway problem is an everyday problem for us! We have the big Van, my husband's Suburban, my son's truck, my daughter's little car, and my MIL's car all jockeying for position in our driveway. We are constantly rearranging based on work schedules, workout schedules, etc. It is definitely a Character Builder!!!
SchnauzerMom said…
That's quite a mess you have there. Can you borrow each other's cars? Especially those who have to work at night. Maybe they could take whichever car is available.
Jules said…
Elizabeth, I like that you said it's a great character builder. I have a feeling that I'll be the one most in need of it!

SchnauzerMom, it's not so easy to borrow cars when some sons are not on their full license. It has to do with car insurance and whether or not they are covered if they happen to drive a particular car and put a dent in it (or worse).

And then there would be the nightmare of keys! All of us carry keyrings with multiple keys on them. To take another car would require locating the correct key and removing it from the keyring so that we didn't end up taking someone else's keyring with their only key to get into the house or into work.

Like I said, biking might be easier!
LOL, it sure sounds like a circus with all those teen drivers...something to look forward to!
Hi Jules,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•
Unknown said…
I can see how you would sprout some new gray hairs :). That has to be stressful! Thankfully I have about 10 years before I have to do that :).