Thankful This Thursday

I woke this morning thinking about all that I am thankful for. Had I known that I was going to come home from work this afternoon and find that DIL#1 had cooked dinner I would have been even more thankful! My DIL is a good cook. I'm not. My daughters-in-law will never have to worry about hearing "I miss Mum's cooking" from their husbands! Oh no, they're more likely to hear "You're a better cook than Mum."

So today I'm thankful that my DIL is a good cook. But I'm also thankful for:

Special memories. Falling asleep cuddling a precious little one; baths in front of the fire; kisses and cuddles; The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#1 throwing her arms around her uncles and kissing them on the cheek (hey, where's my kiss?); hearing "Am I allowed to help?", "What you doing?", "Why?" (well maybe not that one - not when it's the one hundredth time in the last half hour!), and "I love you too"; baby talk and baby smiles and sweet baby smell; and many more precious moments.

Employment. My husband's, my sons', and my own. Yes there's uncertainty, and there's challenges, and at the moment I'm working far too many hours and I'm tired, but we have our jobs and we're being paid on time. We can't complain.

Family. Uncles that love their nieces and are happy to spend time with them (as long as it doesn't involve "The Fish Movie" - yes Son#2 we noticed you went and hid when it was mentioned). Fighting over who gets to cuddle The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 or who gets to read to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1. Son#3 who wants to come home this weekend (and Son#2 whom I think is planning to escape). Everyone around the dinner table every night.

Homesickness. The safe arrival of my niece's baby yesterday. My father's seventieth birthday this weekend. I don't suffer from this feeling often but it hit me today.

Friends. The one I had coffee with today and who is unashamedly selling my book to everyone she meets. The friend who asked for prayer and is going through a really tough time. Those who understand that I'm too busy to reply to their emails at the moment - and even those that don't understand. Those that care. That my friend's kidney transplant last week was successful. And for the friend that donated his kidney.

My flute teacher. For encouraging. For not laughing. And for caring.

And finally for Spring days in August. Who can complain about that?

Comments

busymomof10 said…
We all have much to be thankful for, even admidst the challenges and uncertainties. That's why I love the hymn, Count Your Blessings! Is that a hymn that you like too? Enjoy this special time with your family!
SchnauzerMom said…
Those are great things, special things in your life!
java girl said…
These are all wonderful things to be thankful for! You just painted the most wonderful, warm, family picture in my head. It was warm like an applie pie. Thank yoU :O)
Linda said…
Hi Jules, you've been tagged.
Those are such great things to be thankful for!