I Don't Like Change

This past week has involved some big changes for me. I'm not big on changes. I like things to go on as they've always done. I like routine and structure. That's my personality. I can be flexible - but only to a point.

Last Friday afternoon I turned my back on the centre that I had worked in for seven years. I had been there in the beginning through the planning stages and the giving birth stages, and now it was time to say goodbye. Our area of the centre was moving to another area and merging with the centre there.

It's been ... interesting to say the least. By Tuesday afternoon this week I was convinced that I wasn't going to be able to work in this new area. I felt like the new kid on the block. I didn't know where anything was. I didn't know how things were done in this new area. I wondered if I'd ever fit in. I felt like the kid that starts a new school and wonders if she'll ever have any friends.

And even though I'd declined the leadership position, going from being a leader for these past two months to 'just another teacher' has had its moments. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be the team leader. There's too many hours, too many responsibilities, too many headaches down that path. I did it for a season but with the understanding that it would only be for a season (and because I thought it would look good on my resume!). I value my family too much to do it long term. But learning to work under a new leader and one I've not worked with before has been a time of transitions.

And I guess that's true for all of us. As the week has gone on, things have gotten a little easier. I still don't know if I'm going to enjoy working in this area as much as I did my old area. I know it will take time to form a new team and new relationships. I miss the way we did some things in the old area. I miss the connections we had with others in the overall centre that we don't have now as we're separated from the main centre by a block of flats (apartments) and a car park. However, this also has its advantages.

On the other hand, it's good to be able to once again work with children that I've worked with in the past. Children that I've missed. And this new area is very much focused on working with the whole family - on seeing needs and meeting them. And our team leader is a very creative lady who loves to make beautiful places for the children.

Perhaps it won't be so bad after all - once I adjust to the change.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I don't like change either. I hope things work out at your new place.
I understand!!! I hope you adjust soon! :)
busymomof10 said…
i hope you adjust quickly and find that you like this new arrangement even better.