The Offending Patch

And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched (Mark 9:43, KJV).

A week ago I was thinking on this verse as I replaced a patch in a quilt I've been working on for a while. This quilt is to be a wedding gift for my second son and his wife-to-be and I want it to be the best it can be given my skills and abilities. So imagine my horror when about a third of the way into quilting, I discovered a hole in one piece of fabric. The hole could have been caused by a flaw in the fabric or it could've happened as the quilt was moved and perhaps caught on something sharp and tore, but whatever the case, the offending piece had to come out.

I looked at that hole in the quilt and I cried. I was disappointed and upset. I doubted my ability to repair the quilt. My greatest fear was that I'd remove the damaged piece and not be able to get the new piece back in. Then I'd have a queen-sized bed quilt that was totally useless.



I went to bed on the Thursday night wondering what I was going to do. Next morning I was up early and taking that piece out and replacing it with a new one (it's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for one's confidence to tackle difficult situations).



It was not easy and I didn't relish the task.



But now it's impossible to tell which piece is the new one (apart from the pin that marks the spot).



If I'd left that piece in, it would've ruined the whole quilt. It would certainly have been easier to ignore it, but it certainly wouldn't have been in the best interests of the quilt.

I could've patched it but that would also have ruined the look of the quilt. In some cases it is possible to just sew a piece over the top, but this wasn't one of those cases. Plus, I didn't want to give a 'patched' quilt as a wedding gift.

So there was nothing for it but to rip out the offending piece.

I'm glad now I did. The quilt is better for it and even though it hurt and took time, it was worth it in the end.

There's a lesson to be learnt from this. We are so reluctant to pluck out the sin and the temptations that offend us - that entangle us - even when we know we should. We'd rather hold on to them than face the pain of removing them. But if we only had courage and removed them from our lives then, like my quilt, we'd be better for it. And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off!

(Click on the photos if you want better shots of the damage and repair. And can anyone tell me why Blogger now rotates at least one photo when I upload?)

Comments

Mary said…
Good, good, good post! I can't believe you were able to re-do that so expertly. You can't tell at all. So, yes, it was well worth the effort to make it brand-new instead of patched or left the way it was. I have had to do that with my rag-rugs too. I needed this spiritual reminder, too. I'm dealing with something right now.
busymomof10 said…
First of all, what a BEAUTIFUL quilt!!! I don't know how you managed to replace that piece without even being able to tell that you did so! What amazing workmanship!

I loved your spiritual analogy as well, but what keeps coming to my mind is this -- "We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Eph 2:10

Just like that quilt, we are God's workmanship. He wants to create a masterpiece out of our lives, but when we mar His work by getting torn or dirty, He has to cut out the ruined area, and expertly replace it, by His grace, just as you did with the quilt.

I love the quilt and the spiritual analogies which can be made!!
Daisy said…
You did a good job on that repair Jules, what an absolutely gorgeous quilt! Wow! What a great post as well.
Jules said…
Busymomof10, I love your analogy! And there's probably more that could be drawn from the object lesson. That section of quilt is now better than it was before. The points and corners match better and it's just a neater finish. And now that it's quilted it is absolutely impossible to tell which piece was replaced. As you said, we are Christ's workmanship and we're not going to be 'patched' but better than we were before.

Thanks Mary and Daisy for your comments too. When I was repairing the quilt I was also thinking of an article that I'd read regarding Christians and television so I was also thinking of some things that I need to pluck out of my life.
SchnauzerMom said…
Great illustration! It is easier to be lazy and not repair damaged things but it is worth the effort. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!!!