Mothers and Lists


I opened my emails this morning to find one from my mother, which at first appeared quite urgent. It turned out that she was anxious because I hadn't yet sent her my flight number and she was afraid that I'd suddenly developed cold feet and had decided not to fly over for her birthday and my niece’s wedding. The email ended with a request to reply immediately and put her mind at rest - which I did - and then I made a comment to my sons about how their grandmother had overreacted.

Son#4 immediately asked, "Have you forgotten what mothers are like?"

I replied, "I'm not like that."

The silence was deafening.

I'm not like that. I'm not.

I care about their well being and get anxious when they're not home on time. But I'm not like that. Really I’m not.

I understand though. I haven't seen my mother for three years, my dad for four years, and some of my nieces and nephews for fourteen years! My family had no indication that I was even planning a trip until I surprised them with the news Christmas Eve. So it possibly seems too good to be true for them (especially considering my aversion to flying).

However, while my family are all gearing up for my visit, I have more important things on my mind at the moment. Son#3 and Son#4 will have started University by the time I return and so there are things I need to get done in preparation for that before I go away.

It's amazing how few clothes kids require when they wear school uniforms for five days a week forty weeks of the year. Now that Son#4 has finished school, he suddenly needs more clothes. And then there are all the other things that he and his brother need. Like paper (to write on), and laundry detergent (so they don't bring home a month's worth of dirty washing when they visit), and toiletries (so they can make and keep friends).

So while trying to decide what I need to pack for my trip (and what do you pack for 40+ degree Celsius heat?) and making sure I don't forget anything (such as books for the book signing) I've also been running around trying to think of everything my sons need and to make sure they have it. And it's not always just material things. There have also been bank accounts to set up and forms to fill out (too many forms in my opinion) and countless other essentials to consider and plan for.

But we're sorted. Well at least I think we are. They have clothes and essentials. I have presents and photos and books and clothes. Son#5 who is coming with me and who hasn't been back since he was two also has clothes. He's concerned that he only has one pair of long pants - really, he's probably not going to need even that one pair.

And I have lists.

Lots of lists. And I need to make more to ensure the home is kept running smoothly while I'm away.

Which reminds me, there are still more things I need to do on my list.

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Wow sounds like you're going to have a great trip!
Anonymous said…
Hello! I found you through Civilla''s blog. I've always loved New Zealand since a missionary showed slides of the beautiful countryside way back in the 1970's. My husband and I have often mused wistfully about visiting someday. I hope you enjoy your time with family. We have a son in Europe we haven't see for nearly 4 years. God willing, we will see him this year.