Random Questions for Writers Part Two

Here it is: Part Two of the Writer Personality Test from Emily of Benedictions.

-How is your handwriting?
Once upon a time it was very good. Now, I hardly ever write, and it tends to just be a scribble. Ask anyone whose book I signed and they'll agree!

-How evil are your villains?
A lot of my villains have been drawn from historical evidence and so you could say they are true-to-life.

-Are you long-winded or succinct?
I tend to be succinct which can present problems. Sometimes scenes need more 'padding' and I struggle to introduce what's needed. I certainly don't go in for long flowing paragraphs about sunsets or whatnot.

-Do you have typical writer traits such as ink stains on your fingers or a pencil behind your ear?
No, but like most writers I am a little crazy. It's the waiting that does it.

-Would someone walking past you on the street consider you normal?
I try not to converse with my characters while out in public. But if I do, I'm in very good company. Lucy Maud Montgomery (of the "Anne" books) used to mutter away to herself while doing the daily errands (or so the story goes).

-Do you write mostly poetry, stories, novels or a mixture?
Novels and short stories mostly.

-Do your characters vary in accents, appearance and attitude or are they mostly the same?
I like to think that they vary. My characters have been Irish, English and Scottish so there's a mix of accents there at least. And they've come from all walks of life (upper class and lower class with some convicts thrown in for good measure).

-Do real people and/or places inspire your writing?

More often it's something that has happened that sets off a chain reaction with my thought processes and so inspires me. However places and real events can also inspire.

-What is your favorite character? Or do you choose to remain unbiased in case of a revolt?
In my own novel I love Katie for her gentleness and loyalty and courage; Rhiannon for her spontaneity and breaking out a little from the mould that society placed on girls in her position; and Samuel for his heart after God, his concern for others, and his good looks of course!

-Do you talk to your characters? Do they talk back?
Not talk. But they do let me know in no uncertain terms what they will and will not do. So for all those readers who have asked me if Katie and Samuel get married - ask them! I'll probably be the last to know! lol

-Are you more comfortable with girl or boy main characters?
I guess both. I feel that Katie, Samuel and Rhiannon are all main characters so I guess there is a little bias there on the girls side.

-Do you follow basic overused plot lines with new twists thrown in or do you depart from the norm all the time?
I do follow a generic plot outline but only to a degree. I usually find it helps me build the climax and anti-climax in my novel but I also like to be creative with the plot and do something totally unexpected.

-Do you feel God has called you to be a writer/poet? Will you grasp the power of the pen?
I do and I feel so humbled that He has chosen me. For those that don't know my story, I shouldn't be able to write or reason or put two words together. The fact that I can is witness to God's greatness and grace. When He has done so much for me, the least I can do is offer back to Him this gift of writing He has given me. And I pray that His Name will be glorified through my writing and that lives will be touched.

Comments

Mary said…
Oh, this is fascinating. What a marvellous story, too, about your early childhood illness. I can't IMAGINE coming up with characters and a plot or anything. What a wonderful gift of an imagination you have. Very clever to use real-life historical villains, too! Blessings!
I loved your answers! :)

I'm glad someone else has trouble describing "sunsets." :P I usually want to cover that sort of stuff in a sentence..(sigh)

Writing is such an awesome call from God. I hope your book is doing well. :)