A Whole Weekend

To do what I want.

No one to cook for. No one to clean for (because I'd already done that Friday).

No one to ask me to stop what I'm doing.

No one to talk to. Or share a cuppa with.

Suddenly having a whole weekend to myself doesn't sound so fantastic after all. If the truth be known, the only thing that excites me about having the weekend to myself is being able to spend time doing things that I wouldn't normally have time for.

And I'm not talking about housework.

DH and Son#5 left just after 4.00 yesterday morning to go hunting. After two aborted hunting trips in as many weeks, DH is finally getting to pursue something he enjoys (and hopefully bring back some meat for the freezer - venison would be nice). I tried going back to sleep (I'd insisted they wake me so I could say goodbye) but it wasn't going to happen. So I got up and started my weekend early.

First on my list was a small quilt finished size 10cm x 10cm (that's 4" by 4"). It's paper pieced otherwise there's no way I would've been able to handle and sew those tiny pieces.



Next was to brew up a herbal concoction for my hair. I had a whole lot of parsley going to waste in the garden because ... well we just don't eat that much parsley. I don't even know why I grow it except that I know it's good for you and it doesn't die on me like some other herbs. I don't know if it made any difference but it was nice to pamper myself.

I had a long list of other things I wanted to get done but then I found a sunny spot and did this:



That pretty much filled up the rest of my day. Not what I had planned but enjoyable. Instead of the usual dozen or so stitches that I manage to get done before I'm interrupted (or before the light gets too bad - I'm getting old and my eyes don't work as well as they used to) I was able to do quite a lot of the cross-stitch before being forced to go to bed.

I say forced because in twenty six years of marriage I've never spent a night alone in the house by myself. There's always been a least one other person (even it that person was only six months old). In the past I've stayed up until I'm so tired that I know I'll fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Last night I didn't wait for that stage (I exercised some wisdom and realised that even though I didn't feel tired I had been awake for more hours than usual in my day and it was time to go to bed - tired or not). I must admit thought that it was strange going to bed alone and knowing that not another soul breathed in the house.

But just before I turned out the light I reached for my Bible and read the Psalm for the day. Just recently I've decided to go back to my regular habit of several chapters a day of the Bible Monday through to Friday and having the weekends to concentrate on the Psalms. That way it will take eighteen months to read through the Bible rather than the one-year goal I had set myself this year but I had missed the Psalms and I was also finding that if I didn't get through all the readings one week that I never got caught up.

So last night was Psalm 4. And the last line I read was this:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety (verse 8, KJV).

Light out.

Peaceful sleep.

And the next thing I knew it was morning.

Isn't God great!

Comments

Mary said…
Yeah, I find being alone in the house rather creepy! That hasn't happened to me since my husband went to his father's funeral several years ago. He is never away normally, thank God. I love that quilt!