Lest We Forget

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.


Lest we forget.

April 25. ANZAC Day. A day of national remembrance in Australia and New Zealand for those that died while serving king and country. As a way of remembering, services were held today in cities all across the nation - lest we forget the sacrifices made.

But a tragic note was added to the already poignant cry of today when three young air force men were killed when their helicopter crashed while on its way to a memorial service in Wellington. Three young men who died too young, just as those who have gone before and who paid the ultimate price.

The news affected me more than I expected. Perhaps because of the timing of the accident, perhaps because they were all from a nearby air force base, perhaps because they were all young (two in their twenties, the other just into his thirties), or perhaps because I was sitting with my eldest son when I heard the news and my emotions were already fragile because he has been sick so long and there's still little sign of improvement. Whatever the case, it is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families.

War is terrible. I don't think anyone would deny that. Some would say it's necessary - others would argue that it solves nothing. But the fact remains: young men - and women - gave their lives so that others could live in freedom and peace.

That's no small thing. And certainly worth remembering.

But there's been an even greater sacrifice made and one that in our nation we often neglect to remember.

It's the sacrifice that was made on a cross two thousand years ago.

A sacrifice willingly made for our sins. For my sins. By the only One who could pay the price because He was the only One without sin: the Son of God.

Not only does that sacrifice bring us freedom and peace, but also forgiveness and life. May we never forget the cross, the sacrifice on our behalf, the price that was paid for our sins.

I, I sit in silence here
I'm filled with wonder once again
I'm overwhelmed by Your beautiful love
Now I, I'm falling to my knees, so grateful for the grace You give
The love I need I've found in you

Lest I forget
All of Your goodness
The blood You have shed
The cross I now remember
Lest I forget

Lord, You wept tears of blood for me
You hung in agony so deep
Carried my sin away for good
Now I, I take this bread and wine
Remembering You love divine
You walked through fire to free my soul

Lest I forget
All of your goodness
The blood you have shed
The cross I now remember
Lest I forget


Lest I forget

(Poem by English poet and writer Laurence Binyon; Song written by Rebecca St. James and Rob Hawkins.)

Comments

busymomof10 said…
That was a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. We should always be grateful for those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedoms, and especially The One who sacrified His Life so that we might have live Eternally and Abundantly!!!
Unknown said…
Oh how sad about those three young men! Your day of remembrance sounds like our Memorial Day, where we honor those who gave their lives in service for our country. I am so thankful for our servicemen and women who fight to keep us free. I am most thankful for what Christ did for us by dying on the cross. What a wonderful, precious gift!
Anonymous said…
Terrible news about the chopper accident! In Melbourne seven vets were hit by a truck during the ANZAC Day parade. None were killed, but badly injured. I feel sad for them and their families. We remembered the servicemen in both our services yesterday and followed it with a time of reflection on the sacrifice that Jesus made. Great post!
Jules said…
Amanda, I heard the Australian National Anthem last night and it wasn't at a rugby match! It was sung at an ANZAC day service as a way of recognising the loss of lives from both countries. And it was sung first because more Australians died at Gallipoli than New Zealanders. I found that really touching. The two nations might fight each other on the sports field, but in something like this they were united.

Jen, I think it is similar to your Memorial Day and I think we should always honour those that are willing to die for their country. They give so much - and their families give so much - and we should not ignore the price they pay.

Elizabeth, yes we should be grateful to the One who sacriied His life for us.
SchnauzerMom said…
I agree we should be grateful and remember those who gave themselves for us. Especially our Lord who gave the most. I hope your son feels better soon.
Nancy said…
Hi, Jules,
I left a blog award for you at my blog: www.coolbeans3.blogspot.com
Nancy