Some Days We Just Need Comfort Food

My sons had no idea earlier today that when they offered to do some baking (read: make something sweet and fatty that doesn't exist in Mum's recipe book) that by the end of the day I would be needing some comfort food.

Not want. Need.

Today I heard from the publisher re my latest manuscript. It seems that due to the fact that Australian published Christian fiction doesn't do too well in the Christian market (due to the high cost of producing said books which translates to a higher cost to the consumer) they've decided to hold off publishing any more fiction until mid-2011. I can wait until then to resubmit my manuscript or I can look for another publisher.

Naturally I'll be doing some praying about this and waiting on the Lord for what He wants me to do but at this point in time these are my options as I see them:

Option One: Wait until mid-2011 to resubmit. If - and I'm wondering now if it's a big "if" - if they do decide to publish it then it would be another 12-18 months before it hit the market. That means it probably won't be available until 2012. Do my readers want to wait that long?

Option Two: Submit my manuscript to another publisher. Preferably Christian. Problem: there are few Christian publishers in my part of the world. Problem: if I submit to a US publishing house I need an agent and I don't have an agent. Problem: the MS is a sequel and what publishing house would want to take on Book Two when they can't have Book One?

Option Three: Self-publish or publish-on-demand. Problem: I would need to totally market the book myself. It's been hard enough to market using a traditional publisher. I'm not comfortable with selling myself. And you only have to look at those that follow my blog to realise that I don't have a huge following (I love you all though so please don't desert me now). Realistically, how am I going to market a book from this tiny corner of the world?

Option Four: Give up. I'm joking. I think.

Option Five: Eat a piece of the caramel brownie that Son#3 and Son#5 are about to pull out of the oven and let the ooey gooey sugar-laden fat-laden concoction do its comforting work.



Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I like option five. The brownies sound wonderful. Sounds like maybe the best thing would be to wait for that publisher. The important thing is the wait on the Lord.
Mary said…
Oh, that IS sticky!!! I would take options 5 and 1. Then try to find an agent in the U.S. for book #3. Keep writing! I am glad you will never give up!
busymomof10 said…
Waiting on the Lord seems to be the thing to do for now. So glad that your boys met your need for comfort food! I loved the pictures of them!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new blog look! It is so peaceful and goes perfectly with your title!
Jules said…
Well, waiting is not what I want to hear or do (lol) but I suspect it might be what the Lord is asking of me. However I won't rule out Option 2 as I have found a possible publisher. However I won't rush into anything. I've sought advice and to wait until I have some sales figures before approaching a new publishing house might be my best course of action.

Elizabeth, I'm so glad that you like the new blog look. The header photo is from one my DH took on his return flight from India and the background one was taken when our whole family climbed to the top of a volcano. Both obviously have significance for me - and as well I think they are just wonderful examples of God's amazing creation.