What's in a Name?

When my eldest son was born it seemed that every second boy that was being born at the same time was being given the same name. I remember thinking that I'd never name a son of mine that name - it was so common.

Famous. Last. Words.

Guess what I named Son#3?

(But in my defence, I did change the spelling of it.)

When it came to naming our children DH and I wanted names that were not your run-of-the-mill everyday names. We gave up after Son#2. There were only so many times we were able to be original and after two sons and two names apiece our creativity was exhausted.

We also tried very hard not to give our children similar initials (we were thinking ahead to the days when letters would arrive addressed to our children and we didn't want one inadvertently - or purposefully - opening one that was intended for another). At least on that we succeeded.

But I'm thinking now that it was all a waste of time.

Son#3 has just started courting a lovely girl who just so happens to have the same Christian name as our lovely DIL#1. He calls her by her initials, which is the reason why we were so unsuspecting for so long. "I've just been out running with XY," he would tell us. We thought "XY" was a male friend until someone where he stays spilled the beans to Son#2 and DIL#2. Suddenly it all made sense: the sudden interest in running again, the lack of reply to emails and texts, and the time he spent on his phone.

Which is all well and good. I'm not complaining. But I have a sneaking feeling that it could get rather confusing if he marries this girl and we end up with two daughters-in-law with the same name.

However, if that happens, spare a thought for Son#2. He already has two sisters-in-law with the same name as his wife's sister shares her Christian name with his brother's wife. Oh and both are expecting within two weeks of each other. I get confused sometimes as to whom they're talking about; imagine if there was another one in the family with the same name!

Most importantly, I wonder how we'll ever know whose present is who’s at Christmas time?

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Maybe you could give them some nicknames, some way to distinguish between them.
Unknown said…
A good friend of mine has a son name Chad and son-in-law named Chad. She called her son Chad, and her son-in-law Chadby because her son-in-law's last name started with a "B". Maybe you could call your son #3's girl by her first name and middle name?