Why Am I So Attached?

The question was asked recently on a hair forum that I frequent why those of us with long hair are so attached to our hair. After all - as we often hear - "it's only hair" and it will grow again.

There were numerous answers all well thought out but it's caused me to think about my own attachment particularly in light of the fact that I cut several inches off my hair yesterday and at the time I thought my heart would break.

So why am I so attached?

Firstly, because I love long hair. I admire long hair. I love nothing better than to see a head of beautiful long hair. I've had short hair and I've had long and I just prefer long (even if others think I look better with short). I can admire short styles on others but have no desire to reproduce them on myself. I. JUST. LOVE. LONG. HAIR.

Secondly, I feel like me with long hair. I feel comfortable in my skin - in this case, with my hair. It just feels right. I never felt feminine with short hair but I do with long hair. There are times when I find it hard to go against the norm (we all 'know' that women of my age should NEVER have long hair) but I find the courage to do it by knowing that I'm only really me when I have long hair.

Thirdly, it represents an investment. Investment of time. Investment of care. Investment of patience. Long hair can not be grown overnight nor can it be handled roughly. It means wearing it up when I'd rather wear it down. It means putting up with wet hair even in the middle of winter because I choose not to use a hair drier or other heat appliances. It means being aware of straps on handbags and car doors and other things that like to catch or eat hair. It means carefully considering how to deal with those silver hairs instead of instinctively reaching for the dye. It means commitment.

Lastly, for me long hair is a God-given privilege. Whether others agree or not, I consider it my crowning glory.

So why did I chop several inches off especially when I was only three inches away from my goal?

Here's why (photos are clickable but I wouldn't recommend it):


Over recent months I've been shedding so much hair that I thought if it didn't stop soon I'd be bald. I had noticed some thinning but was shocked yesterday to discover just how much volume I'd lost between mid-back and the length it was at. This is what it looked like just over a year ago:


Big difference, wouldn't you say?

After discussing it with DH, we agreed I needed to cut. At this stage I've only removed half of what we both felt needed to go. We'll see how it goes and whether I can thicken up the hemline by trimming away the growth every month or every other month. That way I won't gain any length this year but hopefully - hopefully - I'll be able to gain some thickness.

This is what it looks like now:


Not the best photo but it gives you an idea. I can't say I love the length - I don't - but I do like the fact that the end of my braid looks better. I'll get used to it in time and hopefully it won't take too long for me to discover how to get a bun to stay up at this length.

So ... I need to re-learn how to deal with hair this length and what styles will work ... and I'm also off to see the doctor this week to see if he can shed any light on why this is happening. I'm tempted to blame my low ferritin levels but both my doctor and Son#2 have told me that just having low iron stores shouldn't affect my health. Perhaps not ... but what about my hair?

Comments

java girl said…
I am suprised what a difference the trim made! My little girl loves her long hair... When I said that it needed the smallest trim she cried. She is four and has never had a hair cut. And you know I cut my hair and I've had several moments of tears over how I could have done that because I don't feel as feminine.

Heres to hair!
Noel said…
so pretty and shiny!! I also feel more myself when my hair is long and hanging down my back :)
delete233209 said…
Jules,

I'm not having a really coherent day but I'm going to try:

Your hair is beautiful

You are not old and dumpy. You may feel old and dumpy, but it's not true.

Hugs! Lots of hugs.
busymomof10 said…
I love the new length! Looks Really Healthy and pretty!
Jules said…
Hi all, I agree that it looks better, but oh how I miss my length. Silly I know when most people would still consider my hair 'quite long'.

Ashley DeLen, I understand how your daughter feels. I cried too.

My doctor has prescribed iron supplements so will see if that helps. I'm really hoping that I won't have to cut anymore off. I'm rather attached to my hair.
SchnauzerMom said…
The cut did seem to make your hair thicker. I hope the iron meds help and you don't have to cut anymore. I love long hair too but I don't like my hair long. It's just not me.