I'm Glad

While The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1 and #2 were staying over, The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#1 decided it would be a great idea to go visit "The Uncles" (Sons#3 and #4). Since I knew it was highly unlikely that I would get any housework done if we stayed home, and since DH was heading over in that direction anyway, and since I really wanted to see my boys again, I agreed.

The night before we went The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#1 asked me to wash her hair and braid it before she went to bed so that "it will look pretty when I see the uncles tomorrow." Considering The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 really does not like having her hair washed or combed or braided, this was very much out of the ordinary and shows to what lengths she will go to for her adored uncles.

Being the wonderful grandmother that I am, I braided her hair. (Actually I enjoy doing it but rarely get the chance so I wasn't about to turn this opportunity down.)

The new day dawned and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 was searching through her bag looking for clothes and complaining that she had "nothing to wear." I pointed out some clothes but was told, "They're not pretty. I want to wear something pretty when I see the uncles."

O-kay.

Thankfully we found something that fit her criteria for pretty.

Before leaving home The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 decided that one thing was missing: painted toenails. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 had been rather bemused by all these preparations but when the nail polish came out, she had to be in on the act too. Since The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2's nails had already been "painted" with permanent black marker pen which was not going anywhere despite using nail polish remover, her nails ended up a rather interesting colour.

Finally, The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 was ready to her satisfaction and we set off. "The Uncles" complimented her on her pretty clothes and hair and nails but only because I'd warned them beforehand of the preparations she'd made on their behalf. Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't have even noticed.

The next day as I was telling her parents about "getting all prettied up" we laughed when Son#1 said that he was going to have fun with her when she was older. (Can you imagine how long it will take her to get ready for a special date when she really wants to impress?) Keeping the tone light, I mentioned to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 that she wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend until she was at least twenty five years old.

"But I like boys," she told me.

That's what I was afraid of.

I'm just glad that I'm not her parent.



Photos: Still looking pretty the next day!

Comments

Sharlene said…
That is such a sweet story. How nice for Most Adorable Granddaughter #1 to have uncles who deserve such grand treatment. Jules, your family seems to have such good relationships. What a blessing.
SchnauzerMom said…
They are both gorgeous!