How Far?

The question was asked in church this morning, "How far is it to heaven?" And then, "Can we walk there? Can we drive there? Can we fly?"

Of course the answer to these last questions is "no".

As humans, we struggle to really grasp the concept of heaven. We haven't been there and we haven't seen it, yet we know it exists.

For my great-uncle it was the distance between his last breath here on earth yesterday morning and his first breath in eternity. No distance at all really.

But for those of us left behind, it can still seem like a long way away.

In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (John 14:2, NKJV.)

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
I think in order for us to go to heaven we would have to be perfect therefore in this life we can't make it. Jesus paid the price for us and we'll get there in His good time. Sorry about your great uncle but it's good that you know he is in heaven.
Ohtawen said…
Oh, Jules, I'm so sorry... Losing a family member is always so hard. I will pray for you and your family, and hope that will help you with your loss.
Jules said…
Thank you SchnauzerMom and Ohtawen. It's been a long time since I last saw my Great-Uncle but I remember him fondly. He was a Baptist minister and baptised me when I was twelve years old. I had a lot of affection and respect for him.