In My Kitchen



Anyone who knows me well, will know that the above sight is not one you would expect to see in my kitchen. I don't 'do' seafood - or fresh water food or the like. Until a year ago I had never cooked fresh fish. If DH or one of our sons happened to catch fish, they did the cooking.

But here I was draining whitebait and preparing to make whitebait fritters, all in the name of love (for Three Adorable Granddaughters). Thankfully, DH finished pruning my roses (another act of love) and came inside just in time to take over.

With foresight, I also cooked up a batch of cornmeal pancakes, which The Most Adorable Granddaughters#2 and #3 ate like there was no tomorrow. When DH and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 grabbed a whitebait with their teeth from inside their fritter and waved it about like it was still alive, the rest of us were grateful for those pancakes! When this behaviour reappeared every time they bit down on a whole whitebait I did wonder just how much I had to endure in the name of love.

 
 
I also have a sourdough starter bubbling away in my kitchen. I had hoped to make bread this weekend (not sure when I was going to find time for that, but that's neither here nor there) but my order of spelt flour has not yet arrived. Apparently it's been a bad season for spelt and after this order is filled there will be no more available until the 2015 season. I guess that explains the sudden increase in price I've witnessed in the shops.



Last night DH and I tried to cook a meal that would appeal to The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4 and #5 but which would also be somewhat acceptable to their parents. We thought we did okay but we are not to blame for the fact that ingrained in grandchildren is the assumption that grandparents will spoil them with food.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 ignored the carrots and Brussels sprouts, picked the corn and beans out of the rice and just ate the rice, ate the tomato, ate the avocado and then helped herself to her sister's avocado, ate her chicken sausage, half of my chicken sausage and then polished off her sister's chicken sausage. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 ate carrots and tomato (which we only had because she'd poked her finger through it while helping to cook tea). Dessert time and roles were reversed. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 polished off her ice cream in record time and then proceeded to help herself to what remained in her sister's bowl.

Later that night, Son#4 and Son#5 arrived home from a snowboarding trip and filled my kitchen with plastic shopping bags holding an assortment of food items which I gather where meant to nourish them during their time away. Seriously, can anyone expect to sustain health on two-minute noodles?

I think this might be just the push I need to think up some great nourishing meals for my family this week. Whether I'll get past the thinking stage, is yet to be seen. (Does homemade yoghurt count?)

Comments