Little Poppets

1. I needed some more yarn for my blanket. Well not more as in more, but more as in more variety. I found some little balls of sock yarn that have proved to be absolute gems. Aptly named "Poppets", they have added some much needed pizzazz to my knitted blanket. Ten grams goes a long way in this weight of yarn! And The Most Adorable Granddaughters love them too!


2. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 turns six today. Six! I can still remember the night our wee poppet was born. Son#1 and his wife and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 were here for dinner and we were about to serve up dessert when DIL#1's midwife rang and said she'd liked to see her (since she'd not been able to keep her appointment with DIL#1 earlier that day). DIL#1 got up to the hospital and wasn't allowed home as she was in labour! Son#1 rang to tell us the news and that we'd be babysitting The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 all night and also mentioned that there had been a show of meconium. My former nursing brain went into overdrive and I worried until we heard news that The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 had arrived safely. And today we celebrate ... and I'll call her my poppet for as long as I can (which probably won't be much longer because she thinks she is all grown up).


3. Son#3 and DIL#3 have been able to visit the town where DH's father fought and was wounded as a young man. While my husband and our children have grown up on the stories of their father and grandfather's service during World War 2, I believe this is the first time any family member has visited the site. For me, as a mother, it is almost unbelievable that young men barely out of school were sent off overseas to fight for their king and country. They were merely babies, really. (I won't call them 'poppets' but you can probably now identify the theme of this post.) I can't imagine allowing my twenty-one year old son to go off and fight (I'm having enough trouble dealing with the fact that I'll have to let him go this weekend to climb a mountain ... in the dark! - I'm not coping with that at all).


4. I was trying to articulate today how privileged I am to be able to work in a Christian early childhood centre. Yes, it has its frustrations, and yes, there is too much paper work, and yes, I don't know how long this back of mine will stand up to working with wee poppets day in and day out, and, yes, sadly, even Christians can be difficult to work with at times, but I am aware of just what a privilege it is to work there and to be able to speak freely about my faith and the things that are important to me.

5. I'm discouraged re my writing. I think part of it is that I haven't had the time to write like I would like to have, and part of it is that I'm lacking inspiration (and I know I should just sit down and write when I hit that blank wall - and in part that's why I'm writing this blog post so at least I'm writing), and part of it is, oh I don't really know. I love my characters, I love the setting, but something hasn't quite come together for me yet. It will - and then I probably won't have enough time to get all my ideas down at once. And in case you're wondering where the theme comes into this paragraph, well you'll just have to wait until the book is finished to find out.





Comments