I Never Would Have Thought

That I of all people would become addicted to making garter stitch blankets.

I mean, let's examine this rationally ...

Garter stitch, in my opinion (or what used to be my opinion) was the black sheep of the knitting family. It's what children cut their knitting teeth on and was not to be compared with intricate cables and lace patterns and all manner of fancy stitches. They were what really showed off one's skill and talent. However, beginning with a number of my baktus scarves (examples here, here, and here) where garter stitch showed off the yarn to perfection, I'm beginning to see the beauty in something as simple as garter stitch.

Garter stitch, especially when knit on the bias which seems to be what has grabbed hold of me at present, is by its very nature, stretchy. Blankets do not easily keep a nice square shape - which for someone like me who likes everything to be square and proper, one would think would be a major drawback. I've discovered that it's not. For some reason a blanket that can be draped over the end of a sofa or over a sleeping child without worrying about square corners, has become immensely freeing. Suddenly the imperfect is attractive and appealing.

Garter stitch, is also what has been termed mindless knitting. Now, I've been known to knit in the car and in front of telly, and until recently thought I had no need of mindless knitting. I mean I could knit and do something else (like watch a movie or listen to an audio book): what need did I have for something where I didn't need to concentrate? None. Or so I thought. But I've been proved wrong. Do you know you can actually read and engage in mindless knitting at the same time??? I can kill two birds with one stone and it's wonderful!

So here I sit (well not quite because I haven't learnt to type and knit at the same time but if there is a way, I'll find it) with my Sediment Scraps Blanket#2 completed, and a third begun. This time I think I'll make it in panels, probably six each approximately 8"/20cm wide, just for a change of pace.
 
Sediment Scraps Blanket#1; 3 strands 8ply/DK/Light worsted and 9.0mm needles; 4 squares each increasing to 100 stitches.

Sediment Scraps Blanket#2; 2 strands 8ply + 1 stand 4ply/sock on 8.0mm needles; 9 squares increasing to 75 stitches and then joined.

Sediment Scraps Blanket#3; 2 strands 8Ply/DK/Light worsted on 5.5mm needles; knit in panels.
 




Comments