Claims

I can now claim to have seen the Whitecliffs (not of Dover but of Taranaki, NZ) ...


(Whitecliffs in the background. We didn't get up close due to only being able to access them at low tide which, considering the timing of low tide, we didn't have time to walk around to both Elephant Rock and the Whitecliffs.)


... The Three Sisters in Two Countries (although there is debate over whether there are three sisters or only two since the sea has taken one away and appears to be in the process of birthing another. [And as an aside, DH and I saw the Three Sisters in Katoomba, Australia, when we were newly engaged and I should have realised then that when we climbed the Giant Staircase - I lost count somewhere after 900 steps - that this was a foretaste of pastimes to come.]) ...



(This photo shows the third sister on the right being birthed. Still attached by the umbilical cord but the sea will soon wear that away, just as the sea has washed other sisters away. [Apparently there used to be four sisters a century ago.])




... And Elephant Rock - the 'fake' (although I'm sure we are not the first - nor will we be the last - to be deceived [even the instructions for viewing the rock suggested it could be seen from the road - when that's not true]) ...



(It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see this as an elephant. We were convinced it was Elephant Rock even when we got up close to it ... until we walked around the point and saw 'The' Elephant Rock.)



(Believe it or not, this looked like a Daddy elephant. This coastline had its own herd of elephants even for those not endowed with overactive imaginations!)

- And the real ...







For my birthday, DH and I enjoyed a two-day business/pleasure get-away. The business component of the trip was completed in record time which left us some time to explore ...





... And wonder ...





... Enjoy an unexpected shower ...



... And take some side trips ...


(I love old tunnels even if they look as if they're about to come down - which this one apparently has threatened to do!)


(Mount Damper Falls. Discovered by a farmer when a wild boar dragged his dog to its death. Impossible to capture on my tiny camera.)


It's probably just as well that I lost the [incredible] photos of Mount Taranaki that I took with my camera otherwise this post would be even longer than it is. I had hoped to get one on the second day but the weather did not comply. But I have these ...


(Taken from Mount Taranaki/Egmont.)


(If you look closely between the two rocks, the tip of Mount Taranaki is above the clouds in the background. Another photo showed it looking as if it was rising from the sea. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe movie fans may have recognised the shot!)

Comments