One Hundred

One hundred is the number of bulbs I planted today with just a hand trowel. Come spring, I will probably think it's not enough, but today I thought it was plenty!

I dislike winter. There are only a few things I enjoy about the season and, "enjoy" is probably too strong a word. They are:

One, several members of my family, including three Most Adorable Granddaughters, celebrate birthdays in winter, so for their sakes, I will endure it.

Two, roaring fires, preferably ones that heat the whole room.

Three, knitted items, especially when they hide less than perfect figures and flabby arms. And knitting, too, of course, although why can't knitting build muscle?

Four, the coming of spring.

I had little appreciation for spring when we lived in Australia. There, we experienced two seasons: a hot one and a cold one (no, we weren't far enough north for a wet season and a dry). Spring was one day between winter and summer, and autumn, well autumn was non-existent.

I really enjoyed our first spring in New Zealand with all the trees bursting into bloom, and the spring bulbs signalling the end of the cold weather (well, mostly true). I still enjoy it.

So what did I plant?


Daffodils. What is spring without daffodils? We have a patch that has naturalised under our walnut tree. When Nehli joined our family as a pup she thought to be helpful and dug up all the daffodil bulbs. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. They had formed a clump in one area, but after Nehli dug them up, I was able to plant them around the base of the whole tree the following autumn where they are now happily naturalising once again. The ones I chose this time to plant under our ornamental weeping cherry are creamy white and highly scented.

Dutch Irises. I had no knowledge of Dutch Irises until we moved into our house, and it had  nothing to do with the garden but with these windows:



I loved them so much I used them as the basis for a quilt:


And now I have Dutch Irises in the garden. Mainly blue. But this time I planted a mix of colours. For fun.

Hyacinths. (Every time I hear that word I am reminded of the BBC's series Keeping Up Appearances.) I planted hyacinths when we first moved into our house and they did well the first year and then zero display after that. As a cut flower the scent irritates my hay fever, but they are pretty. Hopefully if they stay in the garden this won't be a problem.

Now, if only we could skip winter and go straight to spring, I'd be happy.  

Comments