A Prayer

One of the things I find fascinating and encouraging about reading the Bible in its entirety over a given period of time, is that regardless of how often I have read the Bible through, there is always something new and fresh to discover.

Take this morning for instance. Psalm 90. I have read the Psalms far more than any other book in the Bible. I am familiar with many of the verses in this chapter. But this morning a particular verse touched me as if I had just read it for the very first time.

It was the last verse of this particular Psalm:

And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands.


The first thing that spoke to my heart was the phrase "the beauty of the Lord our God". Maybe this was because I was feeling that I was sadly lacking in the beauty department and I needed reminding that physical beauty is fleeting. Or perhaps it was because it almost instantly reminded me of another beautiful verse that speaks of worshipping the Lord in the beauty of His holiness (Psalm 96:9, Psalm 29:2, 1 Chronicles 16:29). Or maybe it's because our souls long to know the beauty of the Lord our God. Perhaps it was for all those reasons I noticed this verse today of all days.

And then I read on and the next line also spoke to my heart. I work in a Christian centre but not all the teachers are Christians. Recently I have felt under spiritual attack. At various times throughout my career I have wondered what, if any, difference I am making in the lives of the children and families with whom I work. These last lines felt like a blessing on my work ... a promise that God will extend our influence ... that all done in His Name will be fruitful.

I'm no Bible scholar. I have not - nor am ever likely to - read the Bible in its original text. I may be "off" with my interpretation. But today as I read these verses it felt like a prayer ... a prayer to start the day with ...

And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;

Yes, establish the work of our hands.  (Psalm 90:17)


Comments