Oh So Pretty

Conversation with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5, almost 4 years old, today:

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5: Why did you used to be pretty?

Me (amused and curious): What do you mean?

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5: Because you not now.

Me (still amused and curious but also an early childhood teacher where you spend your days asking open questions): Why is that?

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 (pointing to a photo that was taken 18 years ago): Because you're not wearing pretty clothes.

[Me (silently): Whew! Is that all! She didn't point out the grey hair, wrinkles, or extra padding.]

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5: The blue is pretty [I had on a navy blue top] but not the other [I'd received a compliment that day on the 'other']. I'm not pretty today [looking down at her own clothes]. I don't like these clothes [there was nothing wrong with her clothes and they were certainly not unpretty].

Times like this reveal to me how much I have to learn about little girls. Little boys, at this age, would not be worried about clothes. As long as they did the job, they'd be content to wear them until they fell apart. And as for noticing what I was wearing!!! I'm just thankful not one was ever seriously lost and found himself in the impossible position of trying to explain to a stranger what I looked like!

Comments