Our South Island Adventure Day Nine

Stewart Island

Today we decided to attend church in the morning since it was one of the Sundays this month that there was a service. There are only two denominations with church buildings on the island and we chose to attend the Presbyterian. I can’t help but think of Miss Cornelia in L. M. Montgomery’s Anne books who was staunchly Presbyterian and disliked Methodists. Not that we’re either (and the other church was Anglican which I’m not sure Miss Cornelia would have approved of either), but there was something special about meeting with a small group of believers and knowing that we all worship the same God.


After church (and a friendly chat over a welcome cup of tea) we headed off on another walking expedition. I am certainly hoping that all this walking is doing some good! DH commented that on our first day I was powering ahead with my walking, yesterday I was beginning to look tired, and today I looked totally over it. Probably an accurate assessment. (Close examination of the photos will reveal that Stewart Island is not flat!)


















We had plans to visit the historical cemeteries today but could find neither even though we found signs pointing to tracks that were meant to lead to them! However we did find Dead Man’s Bay which is a lot prettier than its name, and Horseshoe Bay which is a perfect horseshoe shape.


We arrived back at camp to a lovely text message from The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4. I have missed family so much!

Tomorrow we return to the mainland. I’m not looking forward to the ferry ride given the change in weather conditions since we arrived here. I will miss this island but not our accommodation. And we still haven’t seen little blue penguins, kiwi, or the Southern Lights (but we have seen kaka – a bird we found hard to capture with a camera – and rats – a serious pest problem here – and I’ve felt very much at home with all the gum trees around!)

Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of His, and give thanks at the remembrance of His holiness. Psalm 30:4 (KJV)

 


Comments