The Real Reason




I've been potting up peppermint geranium to discourage coddling moth, and planting borage and calendula and alyssum and johnny-john-ups and nasturtium to encourage beneficial insects into my orchard garden, but it seems that the real threat is not from bugs, or even slugs or birds. No, this is the real threat (at least to my strawberries) ...



After picking fifty or more strawberries of varying degrees of ripeness, The Most Adorable Granddaughters sat down to enjoy the still warm fruit. I'm not sure I enjoy it at a warmer temperature than room temp but The Most Adorable Granddaughters appeared to, even going back for seconds which were definitely on the green side.

Unfortunately, given the fact that the majority of our fruit trees are young and/or small, they won't be picking fifty apples or pears, nectarines or plumcots, or even grapes or blueberries apiece this year.






I'd been under the illusion for far too long that I plant and weed and prune and water to produce fruit for our table. And while this is still somewhat true, I had to admit today that the real reason I do it is for the enjoyment of The Most Adorable Granddaughters.








Because when they're happy, I'm happy.





Comments