Christmas Begins


Apparently no one I know wants to admit that the year is almost over and that Christmas is almost upon us again. But the evidence is everywhere even for one who avoids shops like the plague. And it's becoming especially apparent in our house.

DH, who is perhaps bored after having had a few weeks off work following surgery, and who has obviously had too much time to think, decided that he was going to redo our driftwood Christmas tree. He has talked about making a new and better one ever since he put our first one together back in 2015. Between seasons it has lived outside, exposed to the weather and animals, and being used to store gardening implements that I am too lazy to put away. Recently a branch broke and DH decided that there was No Way that tree was coming inside this year.

With such an ultimatum, we had no choice but to round up some willing helpers at short notice (aka The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4 and #5) and head to the beach to collect driftwood. DH's initial comment when we arrived, "There's no driftwood here," made me wonder if he was still suffering from the effects of anaesthesia almost four weeks on!








In record time, and also without sand being blown into our faces as per the first such expedition, we were able to collect sufficient driftwood, and then spend the remainder of the time collecting shells and doing other beachy activities.

After indulging in ice-creams it was home again where, after an unresponsive headache suddenly decided to disappear, I began the task of making gifts for colleagues.

I found this tutorial for fabric folded stars, and to date have now made over twenty of these stars. They are fun, easy and cute. The most tedious part, was ironing all the strips. I added another step when I pressed, and that was after following the instructions as per the tutorial, I folded the strip short end to short end and pressed. This kept it crisper and prevented it from unfurling. I also turned my stars on point to hang. And a sharp pair of tweezers is definitely a bonus.





I still have a few more to finish and then I'd like to give this Moravian Star a try. I know the tutorial is done with paper, but I think it could work with fabric. I'll let you know how it goes … possibly when that Christmas tree is finished and ready to come back inside. As my mother would say, don't hold your breath!

By the way, the leftover scraps make a great little wreath and are easy enough for children to do. What a shame I didn't take photos of The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4's finished wreath. (This is my partly-finished wreath.) Tutorial here.



Comments