Gems From the Heart

"I like pink," The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6, aged 4, announced on seeing our new front doors for the first time. Does that mean she doesn't like them?


It's feijoa season again and, as in previous years, I've cut and sliced and scooped and stewed and baked and dehydrated and given away and thrown in the freezer and eaten enough feijoas to see me through until next century. One does get tired of having so many all at once.


"What this called?" The Most Adorable Granddaughter#7, aged 2, asked when we introduced her to her first feijoa.

We told her.

"Eat skin?"

"No. Not unless you are Uncle#4."

She tried one.

"Eat them all up?" she asked.

Yes please! If only someone would eat them all up but I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be long before there are more out under the trees even though I dealt to multiple buckets this past weekend and today I had two adorable helpers to help me collect and wash and sort.




The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6 has personality with attitude. She examined the photo on our fridge and then announced, "That doesn't look like a baby."

I pointed out the head, the tummy, the tiny arms, and the legs.

She was adamant: "That doesn't look like a baby."

I told her that it was how she looked before she was born. She was less than impressed! I suspect that Miss Four thinks she was born wearing nail polish and bling. (Can someone please tell me where those genes came from?)


Some of The Most Adorable Granddaughters had lunch with Grandpa a week or so ago when they were here and he came home from work at midday. As I drove them home a few hours later, Miss Four spoke up from the back seat.

"Nana, was Grandpa just joking this morning when he said he goes to prison?"

Not exactly. But there's a difference between going to the prison to work and being incarcerated. Poor Miss Four must have been wondering about that for a few hours and wasn't sure whether to believe it or dismiss it as part of Grandpa's tendency to tease. After I had explained, she had just one more question:

"Does he get paid for it?"


Comments