Clotheslines and Tote Bags and Saving Energy


Recently, before venturing out, and after taking into account that it was windier than usual, I made the decision to employ extra pegs when securing my washing on the line so that I would not be greeted with clothes scattered all over the backyard when I returned. I had, however, not reckoned with the force of the wind. On returning home I stepped out of my garage and burst out laughing at the sight that greeted me: my clothesline had snapped and - apart from one sheet - my washing was lying on the ground. Since most of it was still well and truly pegged to the lines, my plan obviously worked - in part anyway.


Obviously a new clothesline was needed but I asked DH to hold off on the purchase while I entertained visions of clean washing flapping in the breeze on a vintage clothesline. It seemed so romantic despite the fact that apart from a few sets of white sheets, none of my washing is particularly romantic.

Whilst searching, and much to my amazement, I learnt that there are places in the world where clotheslines are banned. What is up with that? In this day and age where conservation of energy, sustainability and climate change are hotly debated, it still seems that in some things at least, aesthetics trump sustainability. Since I have never lived anywhere except where hanging one's washing outside in the sunshine is strongly encouraged, I can only assume that in the countries where we have lived, either most people are too painfully aware of the cost of running a clothes dryer, or else, we are still firmly entrenched in the past.


The Most Adorable Granddaughter#7 was particularly concerned that I had no washing line for almost a full fortnight and informed me seriously that Grandpa would have to fix it later. She didn't seem convinced when told that Grandpa couldn't fix it. However, when the new one was finally installed we waited to gauge her reaction, expecting delight, questions, or both. Instead, she was definitely under-whelmed and when it was pointed out to her announced, "I saw that." I guess she, too, was saving her energy.


(Note how much the grass browned off during that two week period. We obviously have too much "energy" down here at the moment - and not enough water.)

While on the topic of saving energy and sustainability, since single-use plastic bags are banned in NZ, tote bags have become increasingly popular as an alternative. I prefer soft fabric ones where I can stuff several inside a small space (or other bag) particularly when I take my MIL shopping. (Unlike some of the bags made from stiff fabrics which will not fold up inside each other and keep falling off my shoulder or have to compete for room in the shopping trolley with groceries and my MIL's bags.)

I made tote bags as Christmas presents using the tutorial from here. I changed it up a bit: strip pieced the outer, made it a different size, lengthened the handles and added more rows of stitching to the handles. It was a quick and fun project (even if I miscalculated and somehow made an extra one - I guess I'll have to use it) and the tutorial extremely easy to follow. Certainly one that I can honestly recommend.





And aren't they pretty? (Even if I do say so myself). Just think of all the things they could be used for ... if one had the energy.

Comments