Since arriving home over a week ago, the time has just flown, and my intentions to share more photos have been just that: intentions. However, I hope to now act on those intentions.
By the way - and totally off-topic - one excellent piece of marriage wisdom that I heard several years ago (and, sorry, I'm not sure of the source although a quick search attributes the quote to Stephen M. R. Covey whom I had never heard of until a second or two ago) is that we judge others by their actions but we judge ourselves by our intentions. Therefore, I may have had every good intention of posting these photos as soon as we arrived back home (but obviously I didn't but since I know I got busy with other things, I cut myself some slack) but when DH didn't pick up more aloe vera gel from the pharmacy when he was there the other day, I could have judged him for being forgetful and/or uncaring (I didn't but that was the only example I could think of at such short notice). Nowadays when I'm faced with something that annoys me (such as DH failing to do something) I try to remember that there could be reasons behind the behaviour and show him the grace I show myself.
So, back to my good intentions … and my photos.
Government Gardens surround a Tudor-style building that was once a bath- house. Given the size of the building and the fact that a later bathing area created a sensation when it was built in the 1930s because it offered mixed bathing, I'm assuming the earlier building had multiple rooms for private bathing. It is now used as a museum, but unfortunately we were not able to view it when we were there. However, it was still an impressive building and I'm hoping one day I will eventually get to see inside.
At the entrance to the gardens I really appreciated the ornate arches that looked like wrought ironwork … until we got up close. I still appreciated them - perhaps even more so - but to my surprise they were made from timber. The Prince's Arches, as they are known, were built to resemble a crown and were erected in time for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York in 1901.
Visiting these gardens it is not hard to imagine Edwardian men and women promenading along the paths and listening to music coming from the rotunda.
By the way - and totally off-topic - one excellent piece of marriage wisdom that I heard several years ago (and, sorry, I'm not sure of the source although a quick search attributes the quote to Stephen M. R. Covey whom I had never heard of until a second or two ago) is that we judge others by their actions but we judge ourselves by our intentions. Therefore, I may have had every good intention of posting these photos as soon as we arrived back home (but obviously I didn't but since I know I got busy with other things, I cut myself some slack) but when DH didn't pick up more aloe vera gel from the pharmacy when he was there the other day, I could have judged him for being forgetful and/or uncaring (I didn't but that was the only example I could think of at such short notice). Nowadays when I'm faced with something that annoys me (such as DH failing to do something) I try to remember that there could be reasons behind the behaviour and show him the grace I show myself.
So, back to my good intentions … and my photos.
Government Gardens surround a Tudor-style building that was once a bath- house. Given the size of the building and the fact that a later bathing area created a sensation when it was built in the 1930s because it offered mixed bathing, I'm assuming the earlier building had multiple rooms for private bathing. It is now used as a museum, but unfortunately we were not able to view it when we were there. However, it was still an impressive building and I'm hoping one day I will eventually get to see inside.
At the entrance to the gardens I really appreciated the ornate arches that looked like wrought ironwork … until we got up close. I still appreciated them - perhaps even more so - but to my surprise they were made from timber. The Prince's Arches, as they are known, were built to resemble a crown and were erected in time for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York in 1901.
Visiting these gardens it is not hard to imagine Edwardian men and women promenading along the paths and listening to music coming from the rotunda.























Comments