Mothers Day Under Lockdown

Yesterday DIL#4 sent me a photo from the wedding stating that there were lots to chose from but that this was the best ...
I had to agree when I saw it (after I got over my fit of laughing) for, indeed, the photo was a classic shot of our family if others are also a trustworthy source of evidence ...






Our family is not always known for its propensity for perfect family portraits. By the time parents have rounded up errant children and everyone has gathered and found their place, some are more than a little grumpy or unimpressed.

But, as with everything, when you look past the expressions, the shadows, the imperfections, you have a record of a happy family event. 


We don't know when we will next be all together.

When I view this photo I am humbled at how abundantly God has blessed me … not just then but even now during this lockdown phase, even with a son and daughter-in-law in the health sector, even with a son changing jobs during lockdown and another initially concerned there would not be enough work for him for the duration of lockdown, even not knowing whether we would be paid for the entire lockdown period, even with returning to work and feeling "expendable" (a feeling shared by many teachers), we have been blessed. Despite having to celebrate Easter and ANZAC Day during lockdown, alone and in our bubbles, until this past week no one in our family had married, given birth, celebrated a birthday or wedding anniversary, or, saddest of all, died alone without loved ones present. 

We are missing family … we have not visited my husband's mother in over two months … I'm aching for sticky little hands to take hold of mine and for sloppy kisses … and The Most Charming Wee Man is growing at an alarming rate … but we are all alive and well. 

We are still in our bubbles, keeping safe, and, at times, driving our nearest and dearest insane (well, at least in our household). But this past week Son#5's girlfriend has celebrated a birthday on the other side of the world (at least she was surrounded by some of her family and several of The Most Adorable Granddaughters made a Happy Birthday video for her) and today we celebrate Mothers Day. For possibly the first time since we have lived in New Zealand (twenty four years and counting) we have not seen DH's mother face-to-face on this occasion. I have so far seen some of my sons and all my granddaughters - but only via Zoom.

Son#2 reduced me to tears when he posted a message to me on our Church's livestream sermon page (this was after I'd opened handmade cards and gifts from his daughters) and DH remembered and spoilt me with chocolates. Son#4 apologised for not coming to visit and I will ring my mother later today when our time zones align a little more conveniently. 


It's different to other years. No chocolates or flowers handed out at church, no hugs from grandchildren, no visits from sons (prompted, no doubt at times, by their significant others), no taking DH's mother out for lunch or coffee. 

I'm surprised that I don't really mind. Perhaps it's because I realise I'm better off than most. I'm not alone. I've heard from family. We are all safe and healthy. I'm okay with not being able to hug loved ones today.

But, this I can assure you, as soon as this lockdown lifts and I can once again hug my family, I'll be the first one in the car and knocking on their doors. So they had better all watch out!

[No children were harmed in the taking of family photos - the youngest member of the family had just woken from sleep and had been unceremoniously plucked from his pram in order to be in the photo. And the colour coordination of outfits was totally unplanned!]

Comments