Sock It To 'Em

For quite some time, one or more of The Most Adorable Granddaughters have asked (begged?) me to knit them socks. To my shame, for a long while I resisted. Children lose socks. Usually not both but losing one is enough to render the pair obsolete. They wear socks outside on the concrete and then wonder why hand-knitted socks end up with holes. Or they grow out of them (terribly inconsiderate I know). And did I mention that they lose socks?

But this year I decided that The Most Adorable Granddaughters - and The Most Charming Grandson - deserved hand-knitted socks as much as all of the other members of the family. And so I embarked on a rather ambitious project. Children's feet may be smaller than adults', but I had eight pairs to knit (and some had very definite ideas about what they wanted and didn't want).

But now I can proudly announce I accomplished my mission and all The Most Adorable Granddaughters and The Most Charming Grandson now have their own hand-knitted socks.

I used the same pattern for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1's socks as a pair I finished for myself earlier in the year (the horror of top-down sock knitting - never again!) ...






(These are the socks I originally knitted for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 but which turned out to be too tight …)


The Most Adorable Granddaughters#2 and #4 had birthdays the same month and ended up with very similar looking socks ...






And then there was The Most Adorable Granddaughters#3's socks ...





And somewhere in amongst all that knitting for girls, I managed a pair for The Most Charming Grandson that were not a complete success as he has narrow feet and ankles and rather well nourished lower calves and the socks don't stay on ...




On several occasions The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 asked rather anxiously for her socks and I was thrilled to be able to give them to her for an early birthday present …




The pair I started for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6 ended up on her sibling's feet as they were not blue and pink and did not have diamonds. The Most Adorable Granddaughter#7 had no objections to the pattern or the colour and so I adjusted the size to fit her adorable feet ...



Which just left The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6 who, when she finally got her pair, seemed thrilled with the colour and the pattern ...


I'm not sure how long the pairs will remain pairs before one goes missing, or how long they'll fit the feet for whom they were destined, but seeing how pleased each recipient appeared when they received their socks, I know that it was all worth it. And even though the weather is starting to warm up and it's time to start thinking about other handicrafts to turn my attention to (such as another wedding quilt), there is at least one adult asking when he's going to get his next pair of socks!

Comments