Long Weekend, A Walk, And Mending A Quilt

 It's been lovely to have a long weekend so soon after the official start to the term. I've found being back at work while not as hard as I expected, still particularly draining. I come home exhausted and so very thankful that DH has been able to prepare dinner and do the dishes.

But that is all about to change as he has been given the all clear from the ophthalmologist to return to work and, I imagine (and so does he), he will be super busy after having been away so long. Between the two of us, we might be subsisting on peanut better sandwiches for the next few weeks until we find our work-home rhythm again.

Anyway, we had The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1, #2 and #3 stayover for two nights this weekend and decided to do some "sightseeing" with them after church on Sunday. Despite having been born and raised just a short drive from here, we were surprised to learn that they had never visited some of our local attractions - new and old - and so we decided to rectify this at once. (How can any local not have ever visited Mosquito Point? Even if it would be more aptly named Sandfly Point based on my experience yesterday.)

But first, we enjoyed lunch on our veranda where we were treated to an unusual phenomenon: pink clouds in the middle of the day! DH at first thought it was due to his sunglasses making things look weird, but we all saw it.

Then off on our little tour, which, hopefully, is one of my last chauffeuring duties before DH resumes this task.










We somehow timed the end of our local tour to coincide with the return of The Most Adorable Granddaughters' parents, and so the girls went home, and DH and I suddenly found ourselves drained of energy and did little else for the remainder of the day. 

Today, DH has been doing some painting outside (a chair he made, and the frame for our espaliered feijoa trees) and I have been examining a quilt that I made twenty years ago for Son#1 and which The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 has claimed for her own. It's had a lot of use and a lot of love, this quilt, and quite a number of seams are fraying and the fabric breaking down in sections.

Repairing a quilt is not one of my favourite pastimes, especially when the damage is as extensive as this one. However, the backing is still in very good condition (one small hole near the binding and a few slightly soiled areas at the edges), the binding can be easily replaced (and at the same time will provide a solution for that small hole on the back), the hand quilting is still wholly intact, and so much time and effort went into the making of the quilt, that the relatively small amount of time and effort to fix it now, is likely to mean the quilt will be enjoyed for several more years yet.

I did wash the quilt - but gently - and wish I'd taken more time to try to remove some more of the soiling. But I can do that again after I've finished repairing it.

When it comes to seams and fraying and holes, the centre is particularly bad.







I suspect part of the problem is that back when I made this quilt it was customary/acceptable to use polycotton thread for piecing. I was taught to do so but now I far prefer 100% cotton thread as I believe (and I've had other quilters agree) that the polycotton actually cuts through the fabric over time. It's not that the seams have come undone but rather that they have "split" neatly down what was the sewing line - which is why I'm blaming the thread. Of course, I could be wrong.

It's also interesting that it's mostly the black homespun that needs to be replaced - which could mean my theory about the polycotton thread has absolutely no foundation at all, but that it was the quality of the fabric at fault.

I've started replacing some of the larger pieces around the outside where needed, and whenever there has been a teeny tiny hole in a piece of fabric near a seam I've covered the hole with a few stitches. Hopefully that will prevent any holes from getting bigger. I've also re-stitched two part seams that had come undone (I didn't think two seams was bad at all given the age of the quilt).


I'm not sure what to do with the centre of the quilt as almost every block section has at least one piece of fabric that needs to be replaced. I have a number of options: one, continue as with the outer edges and replace or repair every seam and/or hole; make a whole new piece to cover the entire centre section either in the existing pattern per same size as the centre or in the existing pattern per same size as outer borders; or replace the centre with a pre-printed panel (The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 loves a lighthouse panel that we found online) or another pattern entirely.

While I strive to make up my mind, I will continue to repair the outer borders and perhaps another - and more excellent - solution will present itself in the meantime. Otherwise, I'm afraid this is going to be a slightly longer term project than originally thought. With many apologies to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2.

Comments