A Shame-faced Confession

A short time ago I begun trying to repair/preserve/make useable again a quilt for The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2. My initial plan to make it like new was rejected when I realised that almost the entire centre section would have to be replaced. (I wish now I had taken this route.) Instead, I replaced as many of the worn pieces as possible, concentrating on those that were badly frayed and could not be fixed with some simple zigzag stitching, and turned to the internet for advice as to the best means to preserve the quilt for future use by The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 in the same spirit in which it had already been loved.



Tulle seemed to be the most recommended solution and so I turned to my local fabric shop. Had we a local quilting shop they may have given different advice, but as it was, I could only follow what I had learnt online.

I opted for a dove grey tulle, which, on reflection, was possibly not the best choice (not that I had much choice in store) as it dulled down the colours. Black, as surprisingly as it sounds, may have been preferable. But it's too late now, as will soon become obvious.

After appliqueing new patches over the worst of the damaged areas, I took the quilt to the machine and zigzagged the remaining raw edges. I then pinned the tulle on top and quilted it to stay in place. 

So far so good. That is, until I tried removing all the safety pins and regardless of how careful I tried to be, I snagged quite a few holes in the tulle. This was discouraging, especially since I had removed my rings to sew the quilt so that holes wouldn't happen.

I ended up with so many holes in the centre that I added another layer of tulle and quilted that. Then I took it out of the machine, placed it on the bed, and cried myself to sleep.

I was so disappointed with how it had turned out and wished - simply wished - I had left it alone and not started to try to fix it.

How was I going to tell The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 that I had wrecked her quilt?

I was dreading it.

My opportunity came the very next day when Son#1 and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 unexpectedly called in. However, earlier that day I had risen and looked the quilt over again and decided to remove the tulle on the outer border. It had already torn in a few places despite careful handling. There was something cathartic about the whole process of ripping out that tulle. I then re-evaluated and decided to remove the machine quilting stitches in the outer border. This took a little longer and wasn't completed when I confessed to The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2. She accepted my apology graciously and even allowed that it didn't look too bad.

I have since removed all the machine stitching in the outer border and added a new binding in ruby (the closest I could get to the original colour). I presented The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 with the quilt today and she seemed happy with it. I have told her that when any sections of tulle get holes or tear away from the stitching, to just rip them out and HAVE FUN doing it. It's bound to happen as eleven-year old girls often like to wear jewellery or have zippers on their clothes, or, as in this case, share their home with cats, so I know that tulle isn't going to stay intact. And I want the quilt to continue to be used. 

However, I'm hoping that the extra machine quilting will add another layer of strength to the quilt and that the double layer of tulle in the centre will actually preserve the worst affected areas for a while longer. 



The backing is still in great condition (albeit with many more lines now of quilting) that it would be a shame to give up on this quilt just yet. If the worst does happen (that is, it starts to break down again)  appliqueing fish or lighthouses over the worst sections is a possible solution and would add another fun element to the quilt. But for now, I think I'll swear off trying to fix another quilt for a very long time. And, as far as I'm concerned, tulle is definitely out. [Note, those more experienced or skilled may have better results with tulle. It just didn't do what I had hoped in this case.]

Comments