Preparation

Much to my surprise, I really got into the Christmas sewing a few weeks ago. I'd had my second COVID-19 vaccination and had planned a relatively quiet weekend, given my experience the first time (muscle and joint pains to the point that I couldn't walk) but as it turned out, I'm happy to report no such reaction the second time round and I didn't really need a "quiet" weekend. But when you have nothing planned, that's a perfect time to indulge in some sewing that might otherwise not have happened.

I'd seen a few patterns for Christmas table runners and thought I might have enough fabric to make one for our table. This pattern and this one were my inspiration. I used two fat quarters for the background (I didn't even think they went that well together until after I'd quilted the runner), another fat quarter and the equivalent in a leftover fabric for the stars, some scraps for the strips down the centre of the stars, and more of that leftover fabric for the border. I also used an organic cotton for the backing that I had bought for another project but had felt was a little on the thin side. 

I decided to machine quilt the runner so that it would be finished in time for Christmas. If you know me, you know that machine quilting is not my favourite pastime, yet I actually enjoyed doing this small quilt. Perhaps because it was small

I had a lovely yellow variegated thread that I started with but when that ran out I just used some yellow thread. I have used that variegated thread on so many projects - I really need to get some more.

This was the first time I had done binding on a project this shape and I was surprised at how easy it was to do. I hand sewed the binding to the back which didn't take long at all and was in fact a lovely way to sit and soak up the sense of accomplishment and think ahead to Christmas.

Overall it was a quick and rewarding project and I'm sure it's going to look great on my table at Christmas or draped over the door as a pretty wall hanging.


And check out the cool candles made by some of The Most Adorable Granddaughters. These would make cool Christmas gifts especially if done in reds and greens. And they smell divine (apologies to DIL#1 who found the scent overpowering, hence the reason we were gifted with some).





Comments