Fifteen

Over fifteen years ago Son#1 and DIL#1 informed us that we were to be grandparents. I remember that moment clearly - even if we were having guests for dinner and at the time I forget to serve half the food. I love babies (I had five of my own and I've spent a good part of the last twenty-two years working with them) but to say I was in shock was an understatement! For some strange reason, and despite a wedding, I had not considered grandchildren. After all, I still had a pre-teen at home!

Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to adjust and to look forward to the birth of this grandchild with a mix of anticipation, excitement, and impatience. Contrary to some hopes and dreams, this was not a Christmas baby (and I'm relieved for that now - even three days after Christmas makes celebrating a challenge at times) but I will never forget the day she decided to join our family in person.

Nothing - absolutely nothing - I believe prepares you for grandparenthood. You know it's going to be wonderful - you just don't know how wonderful. The moment of meeting The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 was so incredible on so many levels. As the four grandparents stood around the bed and set eyes on her for the first time, we all wanted to hold her, but we all showed unusual politeness and self control - apart from DH, that is, who wasn't backward in taking the lead and having first cuddles. (I've since made up for that by being the first to hold several other grandbabies over the years.)

That first moment of holding her ... the absolute love that flooded my heart for her ... the utter sense of belonging ... that this baby was one of ours ... was an incredible moment in time that lasted forever and yet didn't last long enough. (And since The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 isn't a big fan of cuddles, that first cuddle did have to last forever!)

The uncles were just as anxious to meet her but had to be patient. When they did finally get to see her (still on her birth day) Son#1 insisted that Son#5 have first cuddle since Son#5 had never had a younger sibling to hold. That thought had never crossed my mind, and to this day I am grateful for the thought that prompted that action (his brothers might still hold it against one or the other but that's another story).

And so tonight we celebrated fifteen years of The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1 being who she is. My prayer now, as it has been for the past fifteen years, is that she will personally know the Lord and the salvation He offers and walk in His ways all the days of her life.

And now, to celebrate all the incredible moments and loving we've had over the years, and the wonderful and beautfiul person she is and is becoming, here are fifteen photos ...
















Happy Birthday, The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1!

Comments