Birthday

Just as with our wedding anniversary a few weeks ago (thirty-eight years - wow! - I thought only old people were married that long!), the plans for my birthday didn't go as planned. The responsibility can be directly or indirectly traced to COVID and vaccines (or lack thereof) and our govenment's way of handling this whole crisis. 

And that's all I'm going to say on that, given this is a birthday post.

I had been a little anxious about how I would cope this year given that it was my first birthday since Son#5 and family had moved to America and our birthdays are next to each other. This year we actually celebrated part of our respective birthdays at the same time due to the difference in time zones. 

Earlier in the week DH and I had had a most delightful conversation with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#8. It is incredible the depth of love we feel for this little one that we have yet to meet in person. Like all our grandchildren, she has absolutely stolen our hearts and is not inclined to give them back.


(Isn't this the most adorable family photo?)

A day or so before my birthday DIL#1 and The Most Adorable Granddaughters#1, #2 and #3 visited, bringing some beautiful handmade gifts,which were deeply appreciated. And then on my birthday, DIL#2 and The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4, #5, #6 and #7 unexpectedly came around with a yummy sponge cake and kai (food) and handmade cards.

I certainly felt spoilt. 

And loved.

The following day, DH and I were able to do what we had originally planned: pack a picnic lunch, take in a few antique shops, and then head towards a small but pleasant reserve where it took us a lot longer to traverse the approximate 1.4km track than it normally would have due to us stopping constantly to marvel at the scenery.

The reserve was described as an easy walk (most definitely!) through a podocarp and broadleaf forest. There were impressive specimens of rimu, matai, kahikatea and totara, towering over the forest floor. No wonder these native trees were once so prized for their timber. (In fact, they still are - but can only be gotten in recycled form.)

There was also a lot of birdsong, and although I couldn't distinguish or name the various birds, we were told to expect to see or hear kereru, tui, bellbird and fantail.

There was something incredibly peaceful about the reserve, despite the noise of traffic on the nearby highway.





















DH was in his element: pointing out things that I had missed, naming the various trees (or making me guess); and we both enjoyed soaking up the sense of tranquility, and enjoying the play of light that created mystery and shadow, almost convincing us at times that we walked in Middle Earth. 

Despite all that is happening around us at present and how I feel about it (I thought I wasn't going to mention that again) I am grateful to be living in this incredibly beautiful corner of God's magnificent creation. My only regret is that it's taken us twenty-six years to discover this relatively close small plot of paradise!

Comments