Not A Lover of Change

Almost one year ago (one month short in fact), we farewelled Son#5 and DIL#5 as they moved to the USA to start their new life. Today, in essence, we did the same with Son#2 and his family, although "and family" will be staying here for a few more weeks until houses are settled and the girls have finished out the school term.

Even though I can see God's Hand in and through all of this, orchestrating every move, and even though they will only be four to five hours drive away, it's still heart wrenching (for me at least).

No more impromptu calls to babysit The Most Adorable Granddaughters#4-#7.

No more minding a sick grandchild (usually The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5) on Sunday morning because Mummy and Daddy were serving in one or more capacities at church and couldn't stay home.

No more drops-ins for cups of tea or to borrow something or to fill in time while waiting for music lessons to finish or just because.

No more requests for chocolate chip pikelets.

But despite the no-mores, despite the fact that a lot is changing, and that it's a new chapter for us all, there is much to be thankful for.

I'm thankful we had them close for the past twelve years.

I'm thankful for the time we had with the girls when they were babies and for all the cuddles.

I'm thankful for the drop-ins, the interruptions, the impromptu visits and calls for babysitting.

I'm thankful for shared meals.

I'm thankful for all the conversations we've had - some deeply theological, some superficial, and everything in between.

I'm thankful for all the memories and look forward to making new ones that will be different to what we've known but good in their own way.

That doesn't mean I won't miss what has been - for a time at least - and even grieve - but I am excited for them and for what God is doing in their lives at this time, and I know that even as He has led the way in this, and will go before them and behind them, I know that He will be with me and will bring me through this new change too.

And that even though I don't like change, and God knows that about me too, He will bring good out of this. For us all.

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, He it is that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Deuteronomy 31:6, KJV





Comments