Funny Faces

My china cabinet contains a set of funny cups. These cups (if I remember correctly) were a Christmas gift from our sons years ago. At one time I think there may have been six, but now there are only five, and as I learnt only the other day from The Most Adorable Granddaughter #5, only four that can be used as "you shouldn't drink from a winking cup".

The Most Adorable Granddaughters #4 to #7 love using these cups, whether for water, milk, or hot chocolate. Maybe it's because they're just the right size and have a handle for little hands, or whether because of the funny faces, I'm not sure. But these are almost always the cup of choice.

As I was wiping them up and putting them away on Friday, I broke down and cried. Earlier that morning DIL#2 and The Most Adorable Granddaughters #4 to #7 had climbed into their car and driven away. It was such an adventure for them, and after weeks of waiting and stress, delays by banks and lawyers for selling and buying homes, and with positive COVID tests thrown into the mix, I can understand their desire to finally be on their way.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 told me not to die because she didn't want to make the trip down again anytime soon. I told her that if I died not to come down because I wouldn't know anyway. Sometimes I wonder what goes through that girl's mind! But as she's not one who often feels comfortable with physical affection, perhaps it was her way of saying goodbye and I love you.

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5 held me as if she didn't want to let go, and I suddenly saw her again as a tiny premature babe lying in an incubator. That precious one that we longed to hold and cuddle and get to know who is now so full of life and will give anything a go.

The Most Adorable Granddaughters #6 and #7 were already in the car when I went to say goodbye, and all I could manage were sideway hugs! Afterwards I realised I hadn't even taken photos or said all that I wanted to.

And so they are gone. And now DH and I have to learn how to grandparent and love from a distance. It's different with The Most Charming Grandson#1 and The Most Adorable Granddaughter#8 as we have only ever really grandparented them from a distance. We already have some established routines for when we are apart and when we are together. But with The Most Adorable Granddaughters #4 to #7 we have had a different approach and will now have to learn what it looks like to be grandparents separated by distance rather than just a few kilometers.

I have always said that I knew Son#2 would not be here in our town long term (although what I said and what my heart wished for were two different things). And so I am grateful for the twelve or so years we have had with them. I'm grateful for being there for the births of each of The Most Adorable Granddaughters #4 to #7 and being able to hold them in those first few hours (apart from the Most Adorable Granddaughter#5). I'm grateful for on-a-whim or drop-in-for-a-cup-of-tea visits, last minute requests for babysitting, for invites to birthdays or school prizegivings, for after-church lunch or impromptu picnics at the beach park. For clothes, toys, books, and glasses left behind. For playing the same games over and over. For dirty marks on windows and for dirty dishes.

For. All. The. Time. We. Had. Together.

And for the times that we will have together again. Even though those times will look different to ones in the past.

And as we go forward, we look forward to learning to distance grandparent not only The Most Adorable Granddaughters #4 to #7, but also the precious two other grandchildren who will join our family this year.

Comments