In Front Of The Fire

 

I've always been a tiny bit envious of those countries where winter means a sheltering down in place. Gardens are mulched over and ignored, homes are snug and warm, and nothing is more inviting than sitting in front of the fire while the snowstorm rages outside.

We get the fire part. We just don't get to ignore the garden over winter. Here, winter often means rain, and this winter we have had lots of rain. Lots.  Lots and lots. Which equates to lots of weeds. But most days it's too wet/windy/cold to get outside in the garden to do anything about the weeds.

My American friends have told me that the hardest thing they find about New Zealand winters is that our houses are always so cold. So far it has been a mild winter - apart from all the rain - but that doesn't stop our homes being cold. However, we have a good supply of firewood and we can keep at least part of the house warm and snug-ish.

I just wish I had the luxury of not feeling guilty when I sit down to winter crafts in front of said fire. But those weeds ... they are still calling my name. (Although after several weekends, the call is growing fainter.)

However, whatever kind of winter you experience, winter does mean the making of items to warm those that you love. This winter I have had the joy of knitting for two yet-to-be-born grandbabies. I've also finished a cardigan for myself that I started last year, and made a quilt for The Most Charming Grandson (because he has this thing about blankets and it seems the only way to get him to share any of his blankets or quilts with his new sibling is to give him a special one of his own - well, we're hoping that will work).


I can't reveal all yet (since the babies haven't yet been gifted all the knitting done on their behalf) but I can share a few photos. I believe it was Elizabeth Zimmermann, the uninventor of modern hand knitting, who said that babies deserve wool, and I would certainly have to agree. There is nothing more cuddly, more snuggly, than woolly cardigans, singlets, and, of course, blankets.

Which is why I decided to make a blanket for our soon-to-be-born grandchild (due this coming week!). With an active toddler, and a house about to undergo renovations, I figured that DIL#3 would need to get out of their tiny flat often. But unlike busy toddlers, babies aren't able to move about to keep warm, and they need warm items. Lots of them.

This blanket was knit with 4 Seasons 50/50, an American half wool/half acrylic blend. I'm hoping that because of the acrylic it will be easy to care for (The Most Charming Grandson loves to jump in puddles and some of that mud is sure to end up on others, too), but that the wool will still make it cosy. This wool was a delight to knit with, although I found it strange that I had a neat little ball left over of the green, but had to cut off tails from where I cast on to be able to bind off with the blue. Same brand, same patterns, same amount of yarn purchased, but I almost ran out of one colour.

I worked this blanket in strips and then sewed it together. It went quickly, but perhaps if I were to do it again, I would work the border directly onto the blanket. After putting it all together, I discovered that there were a few mistakes (repeat of two rows in one of the strips and a couple of times I obviously lost my place when doing the border). I'm just hoping that when baby is wrapped in it, he or she feels the love and doesn't mind the mistakes.

The other blanket is for Son#4 and DIL#4 who are expecting their first child later in the year. My mother had made baby shawls for my sister and I when we were expecting, and had started the tradition with her grandchildren. Alas, she is no longer able to knit due to illness and so DIL#3 was the last to receive a hand knitted baby shawl from my mother

Last year, for the first time ever, I tried my hand at a baby shawl for Son#5 and DIL#5. (I've just realised that I never posted that draft post and so I will have to share some photos here as well.) I was nervous about carrying on the tradition that my mother had started and so began with an easy pattern. Rather than knitting it as a whole, I knit four triangles and sewed them together. I was pleased with how it turned out, but was ready for a bigger challenge this next time around.

One triangle blocked

Two triangles joined together ... and checking if it's going to be big enough

Perfect size


This time I decided to try a pinhole cast on and knit in the round. I was surprised at how easy it was (I'm not that great at picking up new techniques - can't teach and old dog and all that) and generally enjoyed the process of knitting, although there was a lot of undoing rounds, and by the end there were over 800 stitches on my needles. (I have shared in earlier posts the angst I experienced when having to undo and pick up stitches again. But, now that it's finished, it was worth it.)


After blocking, I did get a shock at how much it had grown. And so it is more of a blanket that will grow with him or her, than the baby shawl I had in mind. As with the blanket for DIL#3, there are several things I would do differently next time. Since each of my sons and their wives now all have a baby shawl, I guess I have to look to the next generation if I want to perfect my shawl knitting.

Pre-blocking

Soaking

After blocking





My mother thinks I'm crazy to even consider it!


Jules' cardigan is Lush from Tin Can Knits.

The quilt was made using flannel fabrics chosen by The Most Charming Grandson and DIL#3. He hasn't seen it yet, so even this is a "'big" reveal.

Son#3 and DIL#3's baby blanket used lace patterns from my own library. The border was an adaptation of another border (I made it garter stitch rather than stocking stitch).

Son#5 and DIL#5's baby shawl is garter stich followed by the ever-popular Feather and Fan Lace pattern. There are many variations of this old pattern. Mine was worked over an 18 stitch repeat.

Son#4 and DIL#4's baby shawl began with this central leaf panel (adapted to have a garter stitch background), followed by Norwegian Fir Lace, then Lace with Arches and Diamonds (adapted to be over 12 stitches rather than the 10 given in the pattern and garter stitch rather than reverse stocking stitch between the arches) and then a leaf lace border.

Comments