Tonight


In a short while, I will sit down and watch the funeral of a woman who has been loved and revered as our long-time monarch. Until recently, whilst not a republican, I would probably have denied that I was a monarchist, but now I'm not so sure.

I have watched as first her children, and then her grandchildren, stood vigil around her coffin, the latter causing me to tear up. As one who found it extremely hard to say goodbye to her grandmother, I can't imagine the difficulty in grieving before the eyes of the world. Today, I'm thinking, will require an enormous amount of courage from every member of her family. Firstly, to grieve before the world's cameras, and secondly, to do it in private all over again. Just the physical strength required will be huge. But the emotional toll ... I suspect that will be so much greater still.

There have been numerous posts on FB over recent days about the Queen's faith. And while we cannot be sure of her heart or where she stood, we do know that she was a woman of moral character and constancy, she understood and lived out her promise to duty, and she was not afraid to speak Christ's Name. She spoke of His teachings and forgiveness, and, in her own words, said, "Faith, family and friendship have been not only a constant for me but a source of personal comfort and reassurance." 

I believe she will be missed by many. Tonight, as I settle down to watch the service, I will pray for her family in their grief, and I will thank God for giving us such a sovereign. And I will thank God that He honoured the prayers of many when we used to sing (and how little I used to understand what I was singing as a very young schoolgirl) ...

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Queen!

Comments