Joy of Big


I always wanted to belong to a big family. But I have only one surviving sibling and my cousins were either ten years older or ten years younger. (In fact, my youngest cousin is only five months older than my eldest son.) I did have second cousins closer to my age. Not many but enough not to feel deprived of relatives my own age. 

Whether by design or not to achieve that large family of my dreams, I married a man fourth in a family of eight children. I had dreams of large family gatherings. Especially at Christmas. But it was generally not to be. Either because his siblings settled overseas or because those nearby had small families or other plans at Christmas.

Finally, all these years later, I have the big family I always dreamed about. And as the house fills with adults and children alike, as laughter and footsteps echo down the hallway, as dirty fingerprints (and footprints!) are found in the most unlikely places, as dishes are never up to date and meals are never quick, as cricket wickets sprout in my lawn, and Lego takes over the window box and games the coffee table, it has to be admitted that I’m having the time of my life. I’m proud of this family (present and absent) and thankful for what DH and I have managed to raise between us. 

Happy Christmas!



Comments