Ordinary Days

Our time in Texas is rapidly drawing to a close. Last night Son#5 asked us what had been the highlight. Without hesitation, we said, "This," indicating the time spent with him and his family.





The joy and beauty of ordinary days. Of being able to: stack dishes in the dishwasher or fold laundry; cuddle The Most Adorable Granddaughter#9, especially while she sleeps; see and chat with our son and daughter-in-law; go for walks to the park or the swimming pool (yes, I've actually done more than just dip my toes in); worship together at church; navigate the grocery store; try out Tex-Mex cuisine; work on a small project for Son#5; and be bossed around by The Most Independent Granddaughter in the World (oops, I mean The Most Adorable Granddaughter#8).

Another highlight was meeting DIL#5's family. Since Son#5 and DIL#5 were engaged and married during COVID, and it all happened so far away, we didn't get to meet DIL#5's family at the usual engagement, wedding planning, and wedding events. We had met DIL#5's parents once - when they flew out to New Zealand (possibly in alarm) to meet the young man their daughter was dating while she was studying downunder. Their trip happened to coincide with the birth of The Most Charming Grandson#1 and we were able to be in the same town and meet them. Like us, they were also concerned about how this long distance relationship was going to work itself out ... yet, here we are, almost five years later, a thriving marriage and family.

My first meeting of the rest of DIL#5's family happened when I was sitting outside with The Most Adorable Granddaughter#9 asleep in my arms. It was a typical Texan summer day and I was feeling hot and sticky and uncomfortable, and every person I knew and who could do the honours (DH, Son#5, DIL#5, The Most Adorable Granddaughter#8, DIL#'s father and grandparents) were either off getting ready, having a nap, or inside cooking dinner when the rest of the family suddenly appeared and introduced themselves. As a socially shy and awkward adult, this was a little daunting, but they soon proved they were as lovely and gracious as I had been led to believe, and in no time at all, I was made to feel like family.

Another highlight, especially for this lover of history, was seeing something of Texas' history. Especially the Alamo. This definitely should be number one on the list of places to visit while in Texas. As the daughter of a lover of western films, I had heard of the Alamo, but that was about where my knowledge stopped. After visiting (on another typical Texan day with the temperature in the high 30s - Celsius that is), I had to come back and read and research everything I could get my hands on. Definitely would come back and visit again.








Other buildings of interest included:

Capitol Building in Austin (where I also saw my first squirrel) ...





A church modelled on Mission Espanda in San Antonio (surely we could be forgiven for thinking it was as old as the original even though I have since learnt it wasn't built until sometime after 1970) ...




And various other buildings and constructions ...

















Comments