The Long and The Short

The long:



And the short:


October 1, my hair was at 36". Three feet of hair is apparently nothing to sneeze at according to my long haired American friends. Since I work in metric, I'm looking forward to that day when I can say that I have a metre of hair but I still have a little way to go before that day.

Last week I had my ends trimmed. My goal is to get a lovely thick hemline and I'm not there yet. The very top layer seems to be about 2" shorter than the rest of my hair and it's my goal to get it all to the one length. I could've cut back to all the same length but DH wasn't keen so I'll take it slowly.

Incidentally, my hair only looks this wavy when I've just washed it. Once it's dry, the weight seems to drag the wave out and it looks ... well not like this.

After Son#4 took this photo, The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#1 asked me to take a photo of her "from the back side". So I did.

And one from the front side (because she's just so gorgeous):


Tomorrow we go back to school and work. Our last term for the school year looms ahead and it's always a busy one. Final exams. End of year prizegivings. End of year Christmas functions. Birthdays. And then a wedding in the new year.

While thinking about the immediate future I realised that there was little to go in the boys' school lunches tomorrow. I pulled out this recipe again. My sons mentioned that they thought it was a little weird with the chocolate and the fruit (what? didn't they used to love those choc chip muesli bars as kids) so this time I just used dried apricots and sunflower seeds with the choc chips. I also used wholemeal flour after Elizabeth suggested it (I don't know why I never thought of that before because I usually try to 'sneak' it into recipes like this) and doubled the baking powder. I'm just waiting for it to finish baking and then we'll give them a test run to make sure they're good. But only one piece since, as the photos above proves, I need to lose weight. And before the wedding!

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Whew, for a minute there I thought you cut your hair. Your hair is gorgeous, so is your grandaughter's.
Unknown said…
Whew! I thought the same thing as SM! I was almost afraid to scroll down to the "short" picture! What a beautiful little girl your granddaughter is. Your hair looks amazing too! I am at 36" too, so we are the same length :). I'm actually going to stay at this length and not go longer. I prefer this length on me because it tangles too bad when it gets any longer.
Jules said…
Hi SchnauzerMom and Jen, yes that was a little mean of me! I'm afraid it was one of those blog posts that was a combination of thoughts with nothing tying them together so I had to come up with a good title! lol

Jen, I've thought of going to 38 or 40" just to see what it looks and feels like but even at this length I'm finding it tangles a lot more and that it gets caught on things and that I rarely wear it down because it's just too long. However when it is down I love the fact that it is so long!

So I think I'll just spend some time getting the hemline thicker. It's still not fully recovered from the haircut I had last year when the stylist cut off more than I wanted and left it crooked (one side is still shorter) and then in a moment of madness I added layers so now I have to grow them out too. But it will happen. Eventually.
Noel said…
You're hair is beautiful! I can't wait to post pictures of my hair when it's grown out that long. Hopefully we won't all be old and gray in waiting!
busymomof10 said…
Your hair is beautiful! And you DON"T need to lose weight! You will look beautiful just like you are at the wedding!

I hope you were pleased with how your muesli/granola bars turned out! I loved the way the cranberry and chocolate tasted together.
Jules said…
Hi Noel, I'm already grey-in-waiting. I've decided not to henna for a while and sometimes I love my silvers and sometimes I positively hate them. Today I hate them. It doesn't help that someone whom I admired for not colouring her greys went and dyed them just recently. Now I'm thinking I should do the same. (You can see my greys in the photo of me with my granddaughter).

Elizabeth, the problem with my body shape is that my legs stop just below these photos. Yes, I'm really that short. Whereas someone taller might be able to carry off this weight (and legs) I can't with my short height. But thanks for trying to make me feel better. I think we women are our own worst enemies and I have to remember too that there are more important things than being slim. *Sigh*