Scalp Washing

I've often referred long hair friends to my longer post on hair care just for the scalp washing instructions that I've finally decided to post them separately. Here are my two preferred methods for doing a scalp wash. This is just what is sounds like: washing the scalp only. It's the scalp that gets oily and dirty quickest - the length stays relatively clean.

Method 1: My preferred method when showering (works great in the bath whether using a hand held shower attachment of a jug to distribute the water). In fact, this is my preferred method period. Take an old sports sock (one that’s not too thin and has a bit of ‘stretch’) and cut the toe out. Roll up to form a ring. Pull hair into a pony tail (you can use a scrunchi or hair-safe elastic but it’s not necessary) and place the sock ring over the pony. Wrap hair as for a bun and place on top of the sock. Cover with a shower cap (the disposable ones that come in colour kits or are in motels work well – just don’t dispose of them!) and tuck the edges under the sock. Cover with another shower cap (an ordinary one this time is best) and secure with a scrunchi (don’t bother tucking the edge under the bun this time). Wet the scalp hair and shampoo and rinse as usual. Voila! Clean scalp hair and dry length.

Method 2: For over the bath, in the bath, under the kitchen/laundry tap (faucet). Braid hair. I prefer to do a French or Dutch Braid because less hair escapes the braid which results in less tangles. Tuck the braid out of the way (inside a shirt is great or under a towel draped around the shoulders), wet the scalp hair, shampoo, rinse, and repeat if desired.

I usually scalp wash every second day. Recently I've started oiling my length lightly after a scalp wash then twisting my hair into a bun. The length soaks up the dampness from the scalp which seems to be enough to 'freshen' it and the oil seems to trap the moisture, giving lovely soft hair when it's taken down at the end of the day.

Comments