Girls Night Out

It's pouring with rain today. It rained heavy all last night. Several times I woke to the sound of it on the roof and to worry about the kids and my blog and my weight and other issues that seem so important in the dead of night but in the light of day are revealed for what they are (except the kids - they are important).

I have to go shopping today - something that I dislike immensely. Ugh! Tonight I have a combined gift evening to attend for two colleagues: a baby shower for one about to have her first baby and a kitchen tea for the other who is about to be married for the first time at forty. The idea is for everyone to buy a small gift each for the bride and baby and then they'll all be placed in two large baskets and given to the recipients.

I have no idea what I'll buy for the baby yet but that can't be too hard. The hardest thing will probable be making my mind up. For the bride I hope to buy a pretty storage jar and I'll make up "Chocolate Cookie Mix in a Jar." One of my sons found this recipe on the internet years ago and I've used it several times.

I'll share it here in case any one wants to copy the idea.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less - we tend to cook with less salt downunder)

Directions:
A. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt and set aside.
B. In a one quart wide mouth canning jar (or nice shaped bottle), layer brown sugar, white sugar, cocoa, pecans, then chocolate chips. Pack everything down firmly before adding flour mixture. It should be a snug fit. Seal.
C. On a pretty card attach the following instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Empty cookie mix into a large mixing bowl and blend thoroughly with hands.
3. Add 3/4 cup softened butter or margarine, 1 egg slightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
4. Mix until all is blended. The dough is sticky and you will need to finish mixing with your hands.
5. Shape into walnut size balls and place 2" apart on a lined or greased baking tray.
6. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on trays before removing to racks. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

There you have it! Wrapped up in cellophane this idea always makes a lovely and novel gift.

Just two nights ago I also had another Girls Night Out. Some colleagues organised for a group of us to see Mama Mia! I'd read a review online and wasn't impressed. When I mentioned to one of the others in the group that the review had stated that the movie contained a number of sexual innuendos, she said she'd seen the movie and hadn't noticed any. After seeing the movie I have to wonder whether she watched it with eyes and ears closed.

Anyway, after some persuasion I went to the movies with the others. You can guess what happened. Five minutes into the movie and I start to wonder what on earth I'm doing there. I started debating with myself whether or not to get up and leave. Then I started thinking. I knew of several other Christian women who had seen the movie and had said it was 'fun' and 'hilarious'. Here I was sitting with a group of Christian women (some of whom I admired as godly women) and I was disgusted. Was there something wrong with me? Was I the only one who found the movie offensive? (I found out later that another colleague shared my feelings - a fairly new young Christian who had left such a lifestyle behind).

There was nothing 'wrong' with me except that I'd ignored that still small voice that had told me not to go and had wilfully stepped into the path of temptation. On my way to the movie theatre I had struggled to pray in the car - that should have set off alarm bells even if nothing else had.

I tell my kids to stand up for what is right - so why didn't I?

I tell my kids not to be swayed by others - so why was I?

I tell my kids that a little bit of sin taints everything - so why did I step inside that movie theatre?

To say I found the movie offensive is an understatement. To say I'm a hypocrite isn't far off the mark. I wish I hadn't gone. I just hope and pray that next time I'll listen to that small inner voice and not be so afraid to say 'no'.

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire (Mark 9:47, KJV).

[Edited to add photo and link to review.]

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
All to often we compromise our beliefs. You are not alone, I've done that too. We need to listen to that still small voice.

The cookie recipe sounds great! That is a cute gift idea.
Unknown said…
It is interesting how many Christians have been desensitized to stuff. I think it is great that you were so sensitive about what you saw. Before Evie was born, I went to see a movie with a group of Christian couples. I didn't really want to go and see it, but one couple paid for us all to go. The movie was full of swearing and sex. At the end of the movie, the guy who paid for us to go asked me if I liked the movie. I wasn't even sure how to respond! It was a really good lesson for me. Since then, I have pretty much decided to decline if I don't check out the movie first. Focus On The Family, a Christian organization, has a magazine called "Plugged In" that gives reviews for movies. They give info on how much swearing, God's name taken in vain, sex, etc., and you can look online to get all of the details. It has helped tremendously.
bunches of yarn said…
Hey Jules, Meditate on these words. It WILL bless you.
"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies" Psa 103:2-4

Perhaps, in your renewed awareness, you will pray more for your husband and children to never, never, never give into temptation, now that you have experienced the subtlety of your enemy.

Probably you Mom told you this, like mine did: "if all your friends jump off the bridge will you follow also?" Moms are great with those quaint sayings.
I need to talk to myself as if I were the child and the Mom at the same time.
I will add that NOTHING but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that comes out of Hollywood is of any righteous benefit to anyone. Especially when "admirable Christians" endorse it in any way. Which is summarized in here: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." 2Co 6:14-16
Your friend, ^__^
P.S. you don't have to publish this one, or you can edit it if you wish. I know the lengths of hate the devil has for God's people. Be fully armoured, dear Sister. I value your spiritual health more than seeing 'my' post in your comment box.

"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude 1:24-25
Jules said…
Thanks all for the comments and thanks Jen for mentioning Focus on the Family. I went to their site and found the review I'd read a few weeks ago. Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004152.cfm
Daisy said…
Jules, I have found that after I have done something wrong and felt terribly convicted, when the situation rolls around again the next time.... I remember my remorse and know how to respond instantly.

Is your blog working properly yet?
Jules said…
Hi Daisy, my blog teases me. Sometimes it works properly and sometimes it doesn't. DH thinks it's been hijacked. Who knows? By accident I found a little trick that seems to work (I don't know why it would work - there's no reasonable explanation for it to do so) so I resort to that when I want to see my blog.

I did post my dilemma on the blogger support board but I didn't get any replies. It seems that others have had equally weird things happening. I was also having the same problem whenever I visited Liliana's blog but everyone else's seemed okay (their updates didn't show up on my blog but when I visited I could see the most recent posts).

I appreciate that everyone has been so encouraging re this post. I almost didn't post it because I felt so ashamed but I do want to try and be as real as I can while still maintaining my privacy so I decided to post it after all. Certainly everyone has been most gracious.
BellaMama said…
"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

Thank you for posting this. It is a great reminder for me!!

Blessings abound to you!
April said…
I just had to post on the new look of your blog Jules - it's GORGEOUS! (And I loved the cookie recipe gift idea a LOT - printed it out for future use.) :)