Pretty? Perhaps!

Recently I was caring for The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World and I needed to clip her hair back out of her eyes. When I finished she asked, "Pretty?"

I assured her she looked very pretty.

"Nana pretty," she replied.

Oh I wish! Since then she has said it several times. It's nice to know that when viewed through the eyes of an almost-two-year-old, that I pass muster. It's been said that children and fools tell the truth ... I wonder. I look in the mirror and I see all my faults - but then I'm not looking through the eyes of love.

Today I measured my hair. I had hoped for quite a bit of growth because it feels as if it's grown since my "trim" but it appears that I've gotten nothing more than my regular growth of half an inch per month. The tape measure showed just over 33" or, more precisely, 84cm. Before my "trim" I was 34.5" and afterwards I reckoned that the hair stylist had cut almost 2" off. I then had to take a little more to even it up so I guess I should be pleased with 84cm.

If I continue to get half an inch each month I should be at 36" by May 2009. When I first started growing my hair again I estimated that I'd reach tailbone in February this year! Sometimes it seems that my goal is just getting further and further away. I'm beginning to think that I won't even try to go beyond tailbone. I just cannot imagine years and years of slow growth to get to classic length. I think I'll sit back and admire classic on others and be content with what I can achieve.

And hopefully The Most Adorable Granddaughter will continue to call me pretty even if I never reach what I consider the most attractive, most gorgeous, most desired length!

Comments

April said…
Not only are you pretty, you are also beautiful, Jules. And I can say that just from the little I know about you. As I age and see my face and body change, I think about how it bothers me so… but then I step back and realize how it is all so silly in the big picture of things. What is important? Letting our beauty shine through and warm those around us. True beauty, as you know, comes from within. You are also pretty on the outside, but we all lose that kind of beauty as we age, and that’s okay because it is not what is important anyway. Though… I know we women always want to look pretty. But we can, with warmth and kindness and caring coming out of our hearts and eyes and hands and… well, I see that in you with what you write about in all your posts. And the Most Adorable Granddaughter sees it too.
SchnauzerMom said…
I agree with your grand daughter, you are pretty. In fact you are beautiful.
Unknown said…
I agree with April, SM, and your granddaughter! You are so pretty! And what is cool is that your granddaughter looks at you with that wonderful childlike innocence. She hasn't been swayed by the ways of the world yet. The world thinks that beauty has to be perfect and look a certain way, which just isn't right. Your granddaughter sees true beauty in you both inside and out. I think that must be how God sees us. You are a beautiful woman Jules, but your love and caring for people makes you even more beautiful.