P is for Practice



I can remember hearing "Practice makes perfect" many times as a child but I never believed it then.

But I do now.

Just over a month ago I posted here about my discouragement in picking up the flute again. I'd learnt it briefly in High School (a loooooong time ago) and had it in my mind that it would be a breeze to learn again. As usual, I was wrong. I was almost ready to give up except that I'd paid good money to hire the instrument and I didn't want that money to go to waste.

And then I heard it.

A beautiful pure tone.

It was perfect (well I thought so anyway).

And I had produced it. Okay it was only one note out of a hundred or so but I had made that sound. With my own lips and rather imperfect breathing. Wow!

Now I can produce several beautiful notes in one practice. Never mind that the notes in the higher and lower registers still sound shrilly, I CAN PRODUCE MUSIC!

So now I'm scouring the "For Sale" ads for a second-hand flute. I'm amazed at the number of flutes around that supposedly have been sitting in the cupboard for the past five or so years: people claiming that they have no time to play them. No time to make music? No time to produce those beautiful pure tones every day?

But I understand. I really do. I can't believe now how close I came to giving up. And just think what I would have missed out on if I had!

Comments

Mary said…
I took up playing my accordion again when I was in my mid-20's. I had played as a child, but gave it up. It was well worth re-learning. I don't do more than play the chords, but it sure is fun, and I get to play at church a lot.
SchnauzerMom said…
That's great! I'm glad it's coming back to you.
Noel said…
My daughter is wanting to take up the flute and I would like her to learn an instrument, but I'm a piano person... What kind of flute should I be looking for? Is there a certain name brand? Hope is works for you to take up the flute again. I would love to learn to play the harp!
You are inspiring me to try to take up playing an instrument again!
java girl said…
I think that this is a wonderful thing you are doing!!! I loved playing the flute in high school. I still have the flute but I think I have forgotten just about everything related to sheet music ;O)
Layla said…
WOW! The flute is so awesome!!

Really wishing you luck with this!!

It's great to pick it up again!! :)