Biscotti


I have an early birthday present. DH gave it to me two days before Christmas and on Christmas Eve I decided I just had to try it out.

While munching into some delicious chocolate cranberry biscotti that had been a gift to DH (he shared it with me - I didn't steal it) I commented that I should've made biscotti when I'd done baking with The Two Most Adorable Granddaughters in the World earlier in the week. We'd made Truffles and Mazurka together but by some oversight (perhaps because I'd never made it before?) we hadn't made biscotti.

DH's response was typical: "Why don't you make some now?"

My response was even more typical: "Because it's 4.30 and I don't have a recipe [I found one online] and we have to pick up Son#3 from the bus in half an hour [DH went and got him] and I haven't cooked dinner [I threw something together] and we have to be at church at 7 [We made it - just]. ... But then I could try out my new mix master."

I made biscotti. For the first time. And discovered how easy it is to make. And how just a few simple ingredients can make something so delicious.

I'm making some more now. With pecans instead of almonds and chopped apricots included (I added chopped apricots the first time too ... y-u-m-m-y!).

I used this recipe and doubled it. I found that I needed more liquid ingredients so the first time I added extra melted butter. This time I used olive oil instead of butter and added an extra egg.

Tips for making biscotti can be found here. Really, it's not too difficult. It's just its name and the fact that it is baked twice that keeps it in the realm of the mysterious and exotic.

Go on. Try it. You won't be sorry. This is a morning-tea treat at its best. It's also good for breakfast, brunch, supper, after dessert ...

Comments

SchnauzerMom said…
Thanks for the recipe. That looks very tasty.