From The Mouths of Babes


The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#3, aged 7-1/2 years, on viewing my garden: "Nana, you have a lot of weeds." [Seedlings, darling, seedlings. And I grew them deliberately.]

The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#4, aged 7 years, after I told her I wasn't going to let her wear make-up to church and that if it was up to me, she wouldn't wear make-up before she turned eighteen: "No one needs make-up." A pause, then, "Except you." [Thanks, sweetheart. I'll remember that when next I write my will.]

The Most Adorable Granddaughter in the World#5, aged just 6, after she'd checked on their elderly neighbour yesterday after our 6.2 earthquake: "The first few knocks he didn't answer, so I wasn't sure if he was out, or dead, or watching TV." [I wonder what she would have done if he had been dead?]

The Most Adorable Granddaughter#6, aged almost 4, on the weekend: "I hate being three. I want to be four and then five." And later, "I'm going home with Uncle#5." Even when her parents were getting in the car and it was shown that there was no way she could go home with Uncle#5 and stay with him, she was still adamant that she was going home with him. [I wonder what is so awful about being three in a three-year-old's eyes?]

A child at work, aged two, after I had seen a photo of myself and asked, rhetorically, "Who is that old lady?" Looking at me incredulously (she probably thought I'd forgotten what I looked like) she exclaimed, "'Jules!'"

I love that children are so honest.

Comments