On The Kitchen Front

I've been enjoying reading The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan that DH gave me for my birthday this year. Set during WW2, I've been fascinated by the stories and recipes of more than making-do on food rations. As I was baking up a storm this morning in the kitchen (it's currently pouring with rain this weekend - again), looking for ways to reduce sugar, I was reminded that there is nothing new under the sun.

Whereas during WW2 in Britain at least (and I suspect in several of the other Commonwealth countries) replacing sugar with ripe fruit and/or vegetables was a way to provide variety and some treats for the table. Nowadays, it's often for health reasons ... but the challenges and results are similar.

Several weeks ago I posted about planning for our camping trip and experimenting with making a Tea Loaf that used less sugar. Given that not a single crumb of that loaf returned home with us after our camping weekend it was either pretty good or else everyone was extremely hungry.

Since then I've experimented some more and now the recipe contains no refined sugar. It's become a bit of a staple in our home since it's good for breakfast or lunch on the run. Obviously it was on my list this morning when I pulled out loaf pans and ingredients.

Another recipe that I tried and adapted was Date, Carrot and Cranberry Loaf (the link will take you to the original recipe). I had noticed some tired looking carrots in my fridge, and having done the grocery shopping yesterday and been astounded by the price of carrots, I was not going to throw them out - not even into the compost bin where they could at least be put to use sometime in the future. I didn't want to use my precious bananas (even if they lack the taste of my childhood - why is it that our bananas are not imported from our nearest neighbour, Oz, but come from much further afield?) and was planning on using applesauce aka the chefs in The Kitchen Front but I was out and so did the next best thing and used up some leftover stewed feijoa and apple that was sitting in the fridge (having decided that it was about time we started using up the containers that are filling our freezer and leaving precious little room for anything else - especially with feijoa season fast approaching again). And of course I had to add walnuts because what is carrot loaf without walnuts and, besides, that's another produce item we need to use up before we are again overrun (although if Son#4 visits with his new puppy again we might not have as many as in previous seasons since said puppy loves to eat them).

All that done, I turned my hand to chia jam. I changed nothing about the original recipe, and even though as DH pointed out, we are not jam eaters (not in a big way) I have a feeling we will find ways to use this. It tastes so good without sugar and, being little more than real fruit and chia seeds, I can't help but wonder what I'm paying for when I do splurge on a jar of blueberry jam - sugar perhaps?



(Yep, my jam is in a salsa jar!)

So onto the two recipes that filled my kitchen and our stomachs with delight!

Good Ol' Tea Loaf

Makes 2 loaves.

4 cups dried fruit (I use a mix of sultanas or raisins, currants, dates, apricots or prunes - try to include some sweeter fruits as there is no refined sugar in this recipe)

3 cups tea (I tend to use a mixture because I always have some left in the pot/s. Early Grey or my favourite, Smooth Rongitoto Blend, make a nice base. Roobibos can be quite strong but use if it you like it - I don't particularly but am trying to use up a previous purchase that I regret)

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

3-1/2 cups wholemeal / wholewheat flour

5 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons cinnamon powder

Measure the fruit and tea into a bowl or jug, chopping the larger pieces of fruit so that all the fruit is roughly the same size. Cover and leave overnight or for at least 8 hours. Don't skip this step!

Add eggs to tea and fruit mixture. Mix dry ingredients together and then add to the tea and fruit mixture and mix until all the flour is moistened. Add more tea if too stiff.

Line two loaf pans with baking paper and spoon mixture into the pans.

Bake in preheated moderate oven for one hour or until cooked. Leave in tin for a few minutes and then lift onto rack to cool.



Date, Carrot and Cranberry Loaf

Makes 2 loaves.

2 cups dried dates, chopped

3 teaspoons baking soda

100g butter, chopped into cubes

1/2 cup honey

1 cup boiling water

1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste

1-1/2 cups of applesauce or other stewed fruit

4 cups carrot, grated, loosely packed

2 eggs

1-1/2 cups dried cranberries

3 cups wholemeal / wholewheat flour

2 teaspoons mixed spice

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

1/4 cup extra chopped walnuts, optional

old fashioned oats, optional

Place dates, honey, butter and baking soda in a bowl. Pour over boiling water and stir until butter is dissolved. Set aside for half an hour (or longer) until the dates have softened.

Add remaining wet ingredients to the dates: eggs, vanilla paste, applesauce or stewed fruit.

Mix together flour and mixed spice, then add the date mixture, cranberries and 1/2 cup walnuts if using.

Line two loaf pans with baking paper and spoon the mixture into the pans and smooth the tops. Sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts and oatmeal if desired.

Bake at 170 degrees C for one hour or until cooked. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before lifting out and cooling on rack.




Finally, even though I didn't make these today, and they do contain coconut sugar (I had none and so used brown sugar but I did decrease the chocolate chips by almost half), these Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are worth sharing, at least if The Most Adorable Granddaughter#5's reaction to them is anything to go by!




Comments